Pono Mahogany Blem/Refurbished ukes

Not directly related, but the label of my MT (#110812) reads "Hand Crafted on the Island of Java, Final Assembly & Set-up on the Island of O'ahu." Both of my Pro Classic models were made in China.

Got my concert ten minutes ago. It's the lightest uke I own! And like everyone else, it took me a long time to find the flaws which are a couple of very slight blemishes in the finish and a tiny tiny ding near the bridge. A-maze-ing deal.

Doc J- Wasn't me. I am not involved in selling these seconds in any way. once in a while we will take a second for the store to sell at a discount but nothing like that deal. There are not that many seconds because Koolau goes to the factory regularly and they know what is expected.

As far as where they are made.... Originally in Indonesia at a larger factory that did OEM. They then found a small shop that made fantastic guitars in northern China, nowhere even close to any factories where most mass production happens. They taught them to build ukes and they built exclusively for Pono. This improved the line but they would still constantly be there trying to get things perfect, and they would have quite a few seconds, mostly because they have very high standards. But, they closed the China shop because they found the most amazing builder in Indonesia. Also on the island of Java like originally, but of another caliber in build quality and tonal understanding. They are now one climate controlled exclusive shop on the island of Java. and I am pretty sure that's where it will stay.

So my soprano arrived today. It looks perfect. Sounds bad. The C string seems off, stretching it out a bit has improved the sound, but the quality degrades the further I go up the neck. Will it settle/sound better with time? Is it just a bad string? Any thoughts?

My thoughts exactly; looks perfect, sounds horrendous. I'll examine the things suggested by our fine UU friends, and then try other strings.

Many thanks Doc_J for posting this great deal, and thanks to the Ko'olau family for offering such an amazing deal! My MS arrived and I couldn't be happier with it (although DH had a huge frown on his face when he saw that yet another odd shaped boxed arrived :) ). It's exactly the uke that I didn't know I was looking for, but was desperately in need of.

As far as where they are made.... Originally in Indonesia at a larger factory that did OEM. They then found a small shop that made fantastic guitars in northern China, nowhere even close to any factories where most mass production happens. They taught them to build ukes and they built exclusively for Pono. This improved the line but they would still constantly be there trying to get things perfect, and they would have quite a few seconds, mostly because they have very high standards. But, they closed the China shop because they found the most amazing builder in Indonesia. Also on the island of Java like originally, but of another caliber in build quality and tonal understanding. They are now one climate controlled exclusive shop on the island of Java. and I am pretty sure that's where it will stay.

Thanks for the explanation Andrew!

I received my Pono MS soprano today. Fast shipping from Hawaii to Brazil via Fedex, very light uke with a perfect finish: almost imperceptible details for strumming at the top. I put Martin M600 strings and sounded wonderful.

Woooo! Pono's hit NE today.

One smudge on the treble side of the upper bout -- right where the strum marks will live after I play the $&@! out of this one. Great deal.

Cheers to the Kitakis'.

Top Bottom