Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relating to those with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Default Relating to those with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Making Music Magazine posted this photo taken at a New York City subway station on its Facebook page:

G.A.S Making Music Magazine.jpg

I can definitely relate!

I have two hands but many ukes....

Yeah...at least UAS is cheaper than GAS. You can get a darned nice uke for the price of a middlin' average guitar. I did know a guy who had PAS (Piano...) - that was expensive and took a lot of space. He had at least one piano stashed at just about every family member's house and then some.

I've got HAS (harp...) - and someday I swear I'm going to learn to play them! At least they don't take up a lot of space...

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I can identify with the picture in the original post...I have 14....guitars that is...

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Yeah...at least UAS is cheaper than GAS. You can get a darned nice uke for the price of a middlin' average guitar. I did know a guy who had PAS (Piano...) - that was expensive and took a lot of space. He had at least one piano stashed at just about every family member's house and then some.

I've got HAS (harp...) - and someday I swear I'm going to learn to play them! At least they don't take up a lot of space...

John
    Keep going till you get all 12 harp keys, then you can look for all the alternate tunings!!!!!!!!
    last count I had more than 60 of the suckers!!!!!!!!!!!
    (of course, i'm talking of blues harps)
    helpppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G Hill View Post
    Keep going till you get all 12 harp keys, then you can look for all the alternate tunings!!!!!!!!
    last count I had more than 60 of the suckers!!!!!!!!!!!
    (of course, i'm talking of blues harps)
    helpppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Cheers
    Gary
    Heh, heh, I'm on my way. I've got 'em in G (couple of these), A, Bb, C (two or three), D and F; mostly Lee Oscars but a couple of Marine Bands and a Blackbird. Also got a bullet mic and a fancy case to hold 'em all... and can't play a stinking lick! (Well, not quite true, I can blow a few simple things.) Problem is it's really hard to practice the harp (blues anyway) quietly and my office/music room/man cave is right next to the grandkids bedroom. So, I usually end up picking up a uke 'cause it seems like one or another of the GKs is always either taking a nap or down for the night.

Some day though...

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I sold a Gibson Dove and Gibson ES-335 to buy more ukes. Love the ukes but miss the guitars I let go. I think I'll hang on to the rest of my guitars.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

I own 62 guitars and 15 ukuleles (Note to self - Need more ukes!). Ric

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    I own 62 guitars and 15 ukuleles (Note to self - Need more ukes!). Ric
    Yes. Let's see, a tenor uke weighs about a fifth what a guitar does so it sounds like you need at least (62-15) * 5 = 235 more ukes to achieve balance; more if we're talking about sopranos or concerts or a mix...

And I feel a lot more comfortable about my own cases of various acquisition syndromes, now.

John

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Heh, heh, I'm on my way. I've got 'em in G (couple of these), A, Bb, C (two or three), D and F; mostly Lee Oscars but a couple of Marine Bands and a Blackbird. Also got a bullet mic and a fancy case to hold 'em all... and can't play a stinking lick! (Well, not quite true, I can blow a few simple things.) Problem is it's really hard to practice the harp (blues anyway) quietly and my office/music room/man cave is right next to the grandkids bedroom. So, I usually end up picking up a uke 'cause it seems like one or another of the GKs is always either taking a nap or down for the night.

Some day though...

John
    To practice blues harp quietly and get something like 'That Chicago Sound' use a glass or a coffee mug in place of the bullet mic
    and cup your hands and harp as normal to get the required airtight seal. Its reasonable quiet and
    makes a good distorted sound. So its Win Win!!! you get to blow a little harp and the grandkiddies get all the sleep they need.
    Cheers
    Gary

Thread Information