KoAloha KCM-00 vs. Martin C1K

Nuprin

Reaction score
Did another comparison video tonight playing Jake Shimabukuro's "143 (Kelly's Song)." My KoAloha KCM-00 concert vs. my Martin C1K concert. Both have solid koa top, back & sides and are strung with the factory strings.

Just like my other comparison videos, there's no compression or EQ...just a little reverb added (used the same reverb settings for both ukes). I recorded both with the same mic (a Blue Blueberry) at the same gain settings.

Very interesting comparison -- I didn't expect the Martin to hold up as well as it did.

Nice work, and very nice playing.

Unrelated: when's the Ko'olau due? (that's my -- current -- dream uke) any plans to post a review?

Cheers.

Very interesting comparison -- I didn't expect the Martin to hold up as well as it did.

Nice work, and very nice playing.

Unrelated: when's the Ko'olau due? (that's my -- current -- dream uke) any plans to post a review?

Cheers.

Not exactly sure when the Ko'olau will be finished. Andrew put the order in during the first week in June and said it could take anywhere from 1-3 months. Rather than post a review, I'll probably just post a comparison video against my Kamaka and let everyone else decide what they think. Judging from the sound clips I'm pretty sure I'll love it!

Great job, Nuprin. Your videos are always helpful.

Thought: maybe put the words Martin and KoAloha in the title. That'll make it come up in a search if someone is looking at those brands of ukulele.

Thanks for the video.

Thanks Chris. I always enjoy your comparison videos. And I have to say that I was surprised by the sound of the Martin. Do you have a favorite?

Nice comparision video of two beautiful ukuleles. Whichever you prefer it is clear that Martin did a top notch job with the koa ukuleles made in Mexico. I own a Martin TK1 and the instrument sings played softly or as loud as you can play it.

Through my speakers, at least, the Martin sounded a little brighter. Otherwise, fairly comparable.

In some passages, I couldn't tell the difference between the instruments; in others, they leapfrog.

So I guess you can't go wrong with either, depending on budget. (How do the MSRPs compare?)

-Kurt​

Through my speakers, at least, the Martin sounded a little brighter. Otherwise, fairly comparable.

In some passages, I couldn't tell the difference between the instruments; in others, they leapfrog.

So I guess you can't go wrong with either, depending on budget. (How do the MSRPs compare?)

-Kurt​

KCM is about $700.00 retail and the CK1 is $469.00 retail.

I have both the (koaloha long neck concert) and the c1k (martin) and love both. My koaloha sings and my martin rings. I play my martin daily.

comment from Tokyo

KCM is about $700.00 retail and the CK1 is $469.00 retail.

Beautiful playing and interesting comparison.

In Tokyo, CK 1 Marting sells at $700 and Ko'ALOHA KCM-00
for $1100.

I want to buy Ko'ALOHA KCM-00 next time when I vist US since the retailprice of Uklele differs a lot : ) from Tokyo to US.

tuck

That was a neat idea to edit between the two ukes. Thanks!

Thank you Chris,
the martin sounds more complex and richer but less volume and slight flat toned....the Koaloha is brighter and louder but more muddy...
At the price comparisons, the martin is a bargin......but to be honest, the two ukes did little for me....maybe I am just spoiled eh Chris....Real Spoiled...LOL
you must understand well , You have a Moore Bettah...:)

great comparison video! I love my C1K more now! (at almost half the price)

Thanks Chris. I always enjoy your comparison videos. And I have to say that I was surprised by the sound of the Martin. Do you have a favorite?

Ditto. Curious about which you like better, Chris. Besides sound, playability, aesthetics, etc.

Awesome video and playing! The Martin rings out and resonates more to my ear...the Koaloha is mellower.

Top Bottom