22nd Season of the Ukulele

23skidoo

Reaction score

THE FINE PRINT:
*Songs must be performed in a classic, traditional country style – think Hank Williams, Lefty Frizell, Ernest Tubb, and the like. Other traditional styles are welcome, but try to keep in mind both kinds of music – country and western, just like that honky tonk in ‘The Blues Brothers’.

*Entries must state that they are for the ‘22nd Season of the Ukulele’.

*Recordings must be done in a single take – no edits or dubs.

*Any song is fine – it’s the way it’s played that matters. If you don’t dig classic country, pick a tune you know and be creative – just be sure to put some twang in your sang.

*Make sure there’s an ukulele in there somewhere…..

SCORING:
Musicianship - 15 possible points
Singing – 15 possible points
Creativity, musical and otherwise – 20 possible points

Since this theme was chosen to commemorate the July 18, 1952 release of Hank William’s ‘Jambalaya’, any Hank tune receives THREE bonus points.

Bonus tracks are encouraged and welcomed, but will not count towards your point total.

JUDGES: The SEUkers, our local ukulele club, will be asked to judge. If there are insufficient volunteers, I’ll just wing it.

DEADLINE: Sunday, July 22 at 11:59 p.m., HAST

PRIZES: Most graciously provided by Mike at Uke Republic

1st – A Uke Republic T-shirt and a set of Freemont strings
2nd – A set of ebony bones
3rd – A set of Lucy’s strings

Good luck and have fun!

HERE'S THE PLAYLIST OF ENTRIES FOR THIS WEEK

*BONUS TRACK* PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Looking forward to it...

It would be awesome if you made everyone wear a mask like your avatar!!

that's my son a couple of years ago on Halloween..... I've always intended to get him into one of my YT videos wearing the mask before he outgrows it.....

Bill-will we still be friends if I muddy up your thread right out of the chute?
I gotta say...I love Ike, probably like Eugene does.
I love Woody like Ukisociety does.
I like Jimmy Rodgers more than Merle Haggard does...
But I LOVE Hank Williams more than I love drawing a new breathe each morning.
For the fine folks out there in internet land...here is my radio show from two weeks back. It is not a shameless self promotion- just a bit of old country from mister Hank to show the folks what they need to do.
Might as well go whole hog- here is a bonus track right out, little old Hank for the fine folks. I did this on August 11th of last year for my wife, on my home made little 'lectric geetar :)

This is the best season EVER...and did I mention I love you man? Oh- yeah, I love you man.
Great theme and a surely a great season...even if I flood the poor thing all week with my hack versions of Hank's tunes.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Why not- bonus track number two...You have opened a real can of worms here Bill.
Please Don't Let Me Love You- Mister Hank Williams, done about five months back for a friend :). Now dang it, move to the correct coast so we can play old country on our ukuleles all night long man. God this is gonna be a good week. And wait- a set of bones as a prize? Solid gold mate. Solid gold.

Oh man, I have seen the light, and I'm settin the woods on fire!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this one! Now to pick a song and get it up to snuff. To do a Hank original, or to Hank-ify another song? Both options are awesome. How do I choose?

What a great theme! We would listen to Hank Williams on 78s that my dad had. Fond memories right there. Thanks Dad. A Jimmie Rogers' tune I've played for years has popped up a few times this past week and it's time I press record on it.

I'm doing a Hank for this week, I need all the bonus points I can get. Thanks for keeping this going.

Just warning y'all, I have a natural advantage on this one - I get told that even my "rock" tunes sound like Johnny Cash so...just saying... :)

John

Top Bottom