"The Dumber They Come" With Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Wow - a total thrill for me to be playing with these guys - Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks Orchestra - last night in Times Square. The Nighthawks and Vince are on the Grammy-winning soundtrack for HBO's Boardwalk Empire. Vince was kind enough to invite me up to play, and I had a great time with this Eddie Cantor tune.

You deserve all the plaudits you get mate, you're right where you should be. So good.

Thank you, AKuker! Thanks Dave and Thank you, Jon. I've been following this band for about 25 years, so it was a thrill to get up and play with them. Don't know if I'll do it again anytime soon, but it sure was fun! They were sight reading and following along, never having seen the sheet before. Just a great band and Vince is a great leader. Check them out on You Tube - you both will REALLY like them.

Congrats, John - can tell you were enjoying yourself up there and it sounded great - what fun to play with such an obviously talented group. It's a great tune - thanks for puttin it up.....

You were fantastic! Great performer and how fun to perform with the band. Oh but I got to say it, what an offensive song. However I appreciated the humor of it, and ok I am not in the least bit offended.

Cool song and a great job!

Thanks, Ukelites and OldPhart - and thanks again, Dave! Thank you 23Skidoo, and thanks VERY much Roxie. Ain't that offensive? So many novelty and comic songs from the 20s are truly offensive, such as: "I Got a Bimbo Down on the Bamboo Isle", "O'Brien is Tryin to Learn to Talk Hawaiian", and "Mississippi Mud". Sexist and racist. I often have to drop a word or two, just to make it through the evening intact. :)

Thanks, Ukelites and OldPhart - and thanks again, Dave! Thank you 23Skidoo, and thanks VERY much Roxie. Ain't that offensive? So many novelty and comic songs from the 20s are truly offensive, such as: "I Got a Bimbo Down on the Bamboo Isle", "O'Brien is Tryin to Learn to Talk Hawaiian", and "Mississippi Mud". Sexist and racist. I often have to drop a word or two, just to make it through the evening intact. :)
Yup - "the past is a different country, they do things differently there...." - you can't judge the song by today's standards. I don't think anyone would have been offended by it in those days - it would have had a different context..... am I making sense? As it is, it's deliciously un-PC!

I've always liked that quote. It is indeed a different country.

I've had people come up to me to complain a few times, depending on the tune. This one does seem to get the occasional admonition. afterwards. I always say: "yes, it's an insulting little number isn't it?" I mean, I am in on the joke. :)

Last edited:
I've always liked that quote. It is indeed a different country.

I've had people come up to me to complain a few times, depending on the tune. This one does seem to get the occasional admonition. afterwards. I always say: "yes, it's an insulting little number isn't it?" I mean, I am in on the joke. :)

After I saw your video (which is the best thing ever btw) I worked out my own version. I played it while around a bunch of friends yesterday night. We got into a discussion of whether or not it was offensive and the group consensus was that it is kinda offensive but that it would be way less so if a girl sang it and re-worked some of the lyrics. Then that turns it from being offensive to kind of empowering or something. I don't know... :)

:D That's it! Good rationalization. I'll use that next time someone complains.

I want to hear you do this, Johnny. :)

Which reminds me, we better get that meeting on track. By we, I mean me.

:D

Top Bottom