Cajon - Thread

PeteLesP

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a excited Cajon. Is there somebody else who practice it?

Please tell also, which cajon you're about to use.

Greetings, Pete :)

Sorry you're not getting any responses, Pete. I love the Cajon, but I don't own one. I consider them to be the ukulele of the drum world.

Pete, cajones are very popular here in Brazil, although is very hard to find someone that can play it well.

There is also a similar instrument called "Tanajura" (names as a species of ant). IMO it is more interesting than the cajon.

Last edited:
I don't own one myself, but am drawn to them whenever I see them. There was a sweet bulbinga cajon at the local music store that I've had my eye on, but alas I think it found a home because I didn't see it there the last time.

I've got a Schlagwer CP 404 2in1.

It's very usual because you can remove the snare part.

I don't have pictures yet but I will take some soon.

I just saw this thread. I've got a Meinl I bought a couple of years ago and liked it so much I made 2 out of Poplar wood with a 3 ply birch top. I kept one and gave the other to my son. I bought a snare piece for a snare drum and cut it in half and put one half in one and the other half in the other. I way overbuilt them which was a mistake 3/4 inch poplar rather then 1/4 inch. It wasn't such a bad thing they have a lot more bass and deeper sound but still sound good. I've uploaded pics of the one I bought and the one I made. My boy has the other one. Those things are really cool and a lot of fun to play. I've got a couple of videos on my you tube playing them.
100_3006.jpg
100_3005.jpg
100_3009.jpg

Wow Mark! They look all really nice!
Which wood did you used for your self-made one?

Greetings, Pete!

Thanks Pete. I made the one actually two one I gave to my son out of solid poplar that I had and stained them and then cleared coated them. The front is 3 ply birch that I had to order.
Wow Mark! They look all really nice!
Which wood did you used for your self-made one?

Greetings, Pete!

So in searching for more info, I ended up getting a good deal on a Meinl snare cajon on ebay... which will ship soon...

and found this great video of Jake S. with a cool Cajon player.

Hey Olarte, I think your going to like it. Mine has a snare also and it comes with a Allen wrench inside the cajon you can tighten the wires for no snare sound or more. Does yours come with a pickup? Mine didn't so I went to radio shack and got a pack of like 10 ceramic piezos and some connector plugs and and wire and made my own pickup that plugs into my PA or amp. I had to wrap the piezo in some foam padding and duck taped it to the inside of the cajon on the wall and it sounds great plugged in. It cost me less then 10 bucks to amplify it. It also sounds really good with just a shure vocal mic right outside the soundhole too.
So in searching for more info, I ended up getting a good deal on a Meinl snare cajon on ebay... which will ship soon...

and found this great video of Jake S. with a cool Cajon player.

Thanks and no no pickup, but I'm more of an acoustic guy anyway, It should be here tomorrow!

I also orderd the cajon kick port which is supposed to enhance the sound, and a pair of vater cajon sticks\brushes.

Im primarily interested in exploring rhythm, in particular to help me get better at difficult syncopations that I encounter in Latin American pieces that I play on classical,guitar.

And of course to play along with ukulele tracks and such. I'm so looking forward to it.

I'll have to star a new cajon day thread when I get it! :smileybounce:

I'm happy for you. It's quite an interesting piece and a good choice too. You'll have hours of fun with it and a really nice sound also. Hit it in different places and get different sounds. Be sure and post pics and tell us how you like it and what you think about it.
Enjoy and congrats.

Sorry you're not getting any responses, Pete. I love the Cajon, but I don't own one. I consider them to be the ukulele of the drum world.

I start to see them around frequently too, especially in the Mall. And yes, they are like ukulele of the drum world. I find them easy to learn but surprisingly hard to play well.

I thought of getting one myself but they cost around AU$200 in Australia. I may end up making one myself.

Hey Mark I got it and it's very very nice. the bag was included and it's so worth it.

but now I have CAS! I ended up ordering the heckstick and meinl side snare... should be here next week then I'll post some pics.

It's really awesome, now I'm looking into some youtube training the woman Heidl Jeubert form Fernandos kicthen is great!

And a great thing to do is put on some Santana or other latin based music and just jam.

Oh as for pickup, I have a "stickon" pickup and connected it to my Vox mini amp and some of the effects are amazing. Really realy good. I just stuck the pickup (suction cup) to the side of the cajon and it rocks!

Now I have to juggle even more time to find time to practice Classical Guitar, Ukuleles, Cajon, keep my Barefoot running going and oh yeah, work for a living...

Talk about enjoying the Journey!

So glad I found this thread, It's what made me finally look into this great instrument.

like someone else pointed out here, the Cajon is to drumming like Uke is to Guitars. Easy on the surface, but deep if you want to really get into it, and a heck of fun along the way! :shaka:

Cajon1pequeno.jpg

Cajon2pequeno.jpg

I made one, I like the sound but I am unhappy with my playing. I am actually considering taking lessons. I think taking lessons from a pro would make the difference between being able to play and just being an old man beating on a plywood box. I taught myself uke, no problem, but the cajon is eluding me.

Total cost of the cajon - less than $20. The tapa is 1/8" three-ply birch plywood. No snares, I did not want them, but it would be easy to add them.

It is overbuilt - 1/2" thick sides and top, 1.5" thick posts at all corners, 3/4" thick bottom with braces. An elephant could step on it and probably not break it.

Last edited:
Very nice Cajon Pondoro.

I dunno about lessons, it's hard enough to find a good guitar or uke teacher, so I can't see finding a good cajon teacher.

However check out the excellent YouTube videos of Heidi Joubert, or the complete cajon DVDs they are both excellent resources. I also recommend Shannon's drum circle 101 rhythms, it's an excellent DVD to practice 125 different phrases....

Top Bottom