Can't decide...Pono tenor Acacia or Mahogany ukulele? Big difference in sound?

The statement by Koolau about the mahogany is on the Pono FAQ. It is correct that they are not comparing acacia and mahogany, just explaining why the one costs more than the other. I certainly do agree that aural aesthetics should be the most important consideration. My mahogany Pono sounds wonderful to me but I also like Bonnard more than Matisse even though both are great artists and others may wish to differ. It is the sound that is important.

Living on Kauai with the opportunity to travel back and forth to Oahu a couple of times a month has really spoiled me. I get to go and play and listen to all these instruments and pick what I like best as well as going straight to the factories for my other ukuleles if I have questions. Lucky to live Hawaii. Taking my granddaughter to the 42nd Annual Ukulele Festival on Sunday since she started uke lessons three weeks ago.

I still like the mahogany baritone best, but now that I notice that I was supposed to be commenting on tenors, the ones I have are acacia (koa). Have you looked at the Kelii. They sound good and you can get one that's got a solid koa soundboard and solid mahogany back and sides...solve your problem by having it both ways!

The statement by Koolau about the mahogany is on the Pono FAQ. It is correct that they are not comparing acacia and mahogany, just explaining why the one costs more than the other. I certainly do agree that aural aesthetics should be the most important consideration. My mahogany Pono sounds wonderful to me but I also like Bonnard more than Matisse even though both are great artists and others may wish to differ. It is the sound that is important.

Living on Kauai with the opportunity to travel back and forth to Oahu a couple of times a month has really spoiled me. I get to go and play and listen to all these instruments and pick what I like best as well as going straight to the factories for my other ukuleles if I have questions. Lucky to live Hawaii. Taking my granddaughter to the 42nd Annual Ukulele Festival on Sunday since she started uke lessons three weeks ago.

I still like the mahogany baritone best, but now that I notice that I was supposed to be commenting on tenors, the ones I have are acacia (koa). Have you looked at the Kelii. They sound good and you can get one that's got a solid koa soundboard and solid mahogany back and sides...solve your problem by having it both ways!

I like the Kelii solution, but... I don't know that mahogany Ponos can be beat. I had an MT (still kicking myself for trading it), and have a MC. Very little bling, but excellent craftsmanship and tone.

As for the acacia, to my ears it doesn't ring as clear as 'hog -- I am admittedly biased.

Either way, you'll be pleased with Pono's quality. Good luck.

Both the mahog and acacia "deluxe" are gloss. They have satin versions of each which are cheaper, but im willing ti pay extra for the gloss :)

Ugh its hard to decide more than ever.. Up to the day before yesterday I had my heart set on the mahog..then yesterdY i changd my mind to acacia..now im leaning towards mahogany again LOL. First world uke problems

Y'all are making me so confused!!!! lol

I hear ya, I keep going back and forth...but I will look at Kelii...

oh, and thank you coolkayaker1 for looking at the ebay thing for me...I agree with you.

now we can add to the mix...a concert all koa solid wood Kamoa here in Florida...especially made for NAMM 2012 but not put into production. Sort of a collector's one of a kind uke. geared tuners...

I talked to Sam Bonanno, the owner of Kamoa and we chatted about the grand concert 500 series with spruce top and maple sides and back. He did a video comparing Kamoas to Ponos. They really sounded alike. I hesitate because of the friction rather than geared tuners. I have to think about it.

Last edited:
You're welcome, jiva.

I have no idea why it is, but Kamoas are just not as popular as Ponos. I think if resale is ever a consideration, and you want the largest potential buyer population, and if Kamoa and Pono sound the same, price the same, stick with Pono, as you know, a division of KoOlau.

Please, after all this, jiva and kissing, tell us what you get, okay?

ok, i will....it may take a couple of weeks yet

Aiming to buy around the 2nd or 3rd of August

thanks for all of the advice

Just another +1 on the mahogany Pono, I gambled on the refurb 'hog six string and it is a honey, just beautiful clear ring and tone with Worth Clears, I took whatever they had on off immediately after I tuned it up to check it over the first time, and just kept the low G as I already have a six strung re-entrant. The sound cleared and increased and it gained sustain with the new strings; if Living Water strings are as good as PhilUSA noted then watch out.

Also agree with the PKT-1E on eBay, leave it. I had one from 2005, very nice but heavier build than today's versions, and I never use the amps on my ukes and they are heavier with the electronics, unless they are a passive pickup AFAIK. I would get a new one for more rather than pay that much for a used unknown without playing it first.

Mahogany it is for me! (as soon as i have the money..plus i want a Mi-Si installed xD)

I have a mahogany baritone, and I think I agree with coolyaker... for a larger uke that's inherently deeper in tone, mahogany (which is a great wood for filling out the sound of regular-sized ukes) can add a "deepness" to the sound that can be surprising.

Last edited:
Top Bottom