Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Moku Ukulele... Any Thoughts?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Music City USA
    Posts
    265

    Default Moku Ukulele... Any Thoughts?

    Had an opportunity to attend NAMM in Nashville this past weekend. Several different uke vendors there. Lanakai had, by far, the best display.

    Was fairly impressed with a couple ukes I played and hoping for some feedback from others. I liked the Moku spruce top mahogany. Anyone familiar with Moku Uke out of San Francisco? AND... I didn't expect to be impressed with the bamboo Eddie Finn... but I was. First time I've had either a Moku or an Eddie Finn in my hands. Thoughts on either brand???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    45,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musiccityuker View Post
    Had an opportunity to attend NAMM in Nashville this past weekend. Several different uke vendors there. Lanakai had, by far, the best display.

    Was fairly impressed with a couple ukes I played and hoping for some feedback from others. I liked the Moku spruce top mahogany. Anyone familiar with Moku Uke out of San Francisco? AND... I didn't expect to be impressed with the bamboo Eddie Finn... but I was. First time I've had either a Moku or an Eddie Finn in my hands. Thoughts on either brand???
    I think the craftsmanship and attention to detail of the Moku's is superb! And I love their sound as well.
    9:23448

    Passionately Untalented

    Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

    Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    I'd be very surprised if every single Uke' at a show such as this hasn't spent a considerable amount of time in the hands of an instrument tech'. I wouldn't trust any of the "cheap" Ukes to be representative samples.

    Btw, in case anyone was thinking I was referring to the Ukes in the preceding thread (as a quick re-read seems to indicate), I meant any of the bread & butter sub $300 instruments like the Kala, Lanikai etc

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    45,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    I'd be very surprised if every single Uke' at a show such as this hasn't spent a considerable amount of time in the hands of an instrument tech'. I wouldn't trust any of the "cheap" Ukes to be representative samples.

    Btw, in case anyone was thinking I was referring to the Ukes in the preceding thread (as a quick re-read seems to indicate), I meant any of the bread & butter sub $300 instruments like the Kala, Lanikai etc
    Production ukes, all production ukes, are set up for the general masses so a little personal tweaking (set-up) is almost expected. I don't get your point. Do you think they "bait and switch"? Mike, from Moku is a stand up guy and I know that what musiccityuker saw and heard is what he/she will get.
    9:23448

    Passionately Untalented

    Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

    Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    I don't get your point. Do you think they "bait and switch"?
    My point is, when you're talking about low end Ukes, the likelihood of a Lanikai, for example, at the show and the identical model at a GC being even remotely similar in terms of playability and/or intonation is slim to say the least.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Republique Uke
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Eddy Finn has improved their line for sure and I agree the bamboo sounded really good. They are using a new factory to produce their new instruments.
    Moku are great ukuleles. They introduced their new series at NAMM so we now have the select and choice. Even the laminate mahogany was excellent! I think Moku is an excellent choice. We brought back the lot of the new mahogany series.

    "It's not on a map, it's right on your lap" ~ Sailor Jim

    UkeRepublic.com
    FaceBook Fan Page
    YouTube Channel

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •