Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom uke on Ebay?

Default Custom uke on Ebay?

I ran across a tenor pineapple Koa sunburst uke on Ebay and fell in love but am leery. Link here to the Ebay listing

When I asked the seller more about it, they said:

"It doesn't have a brand name. It is handmade. I have it on consignment here in the shop from a collector in __. He has put about half a dozen ukes on consignment and this is one of them."

So you more experienced uke shoppers, it this one a "Buyer Beware" or could this be a good purchase? Are there any follow-up questions I should ask in a situation like this?

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ixty56 View Post
    I ran across a tenor pineapple Koa sunburst uke on Ebay and fell in love but am leery. Link here to the Ebay listing

When I asked the seller more about it, they said:

"It doesn't have a brand name. It is handmade. I have it on consignment here in the shop from a collector in __. He has put about half a dozen ukes on consignment and this is one of them."

So you more experienced uke shoppers, it this one a "Buyer Beware" or could this be a good purchase? Are there any follow-up questions I should ask in a situation like this?

Thanks,
    Mark
    I'd be sure to ask whether there is a return policy in place, because if you find out that instead of a solid koa uke you got yourself a pine laminate, you want to be sure you can give it back.

That said, if this is a solid koa (and not "acacia"), I am appalled by the damage done to the natural beauty of the wood from that silly "sunburst" finish. just horrible.
    I got my wife, my dogs, and my Kanile'a. What else would I need?

New member with an ebay link?...............SPAM

A no-name uke from a seller that does not specialize specifically in ukes? I'd pass.

Truth be told, unless the seller already had a known and positive reputation, I would avoid buying a uke on eBay, sight unseen, at all. Even with reputable manufacturers, there are variables from uke to uke.

Look at what else he's selling on ebay.......about 5000+ items. I'd be suspicious.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

The over the top mother of pearl fretboard makes me suspect it's made in Vietnam.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

I doubt it's real Abalone at that price. May even be one of those stickers. The only ukes I've seen for similar money with that amount of bling was one of the Vietnamese ones (forgotten the name).

<edit> And this is what happens when you type a reply, leave it open to go have something to eat, come back and hit POST an hour later and find all the bloody ninja posters have crept in above you!!

Bruce Wei. That's who I meant. Looks like one of his creations.

Thanks for everyone for your input on that pineapple sunburst uke! I hadn't thought of how the sunburst finish might affect how it sounds. I've also got my eye on some of the spalted mango ukes sold by Lanikai and others.

Tattwo: I am not, in fact a spammer, just an enthusiastic noob trying to start a tiny uke collection w/o breaking the bank. Seems like defeating the CAPTCHA on this forum would be nigh impossible for a spammer.

Cheers all,
    Mark

Thread Information