Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Powered Bass Amps

If you already have a small bass amp, one solution would be to just use one of those automotive battery charger/jump starter/air pump with built-in inverter to power it. I've used one a couple of times for a small sound system for the caller at an outdoor square dance, and in an hour or so of use it only used ~4% of the charge. This would be pointless for indoor use but a very cheap solution for outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by slcurts View Post
    If you already have a small bass amp, one solution would be to just use one of those automotive battery charger/jump starter/air pump with built-in inverter to power it. I've used one a couple of times for a small sound system for the caller at an outdoor square dance, and in an hour or so of use it only used ~4% of the charge. This would be pointless for indoor use but a very cheap solution for outdoors.
    I put together a small 8Ah 12v sealed lead acid motorcycle battery with a pure sine wave inverter for my 250w 15" Carvin bass amp that is very compact, light and lasts for a few hours, no need for anything big. A set up like that would cost less than $100. (My inverter is bigger than needed.)

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

When you are using an inverter, you are wasting energy (= battery life) generating extra weight and carrying around unnecessary weight.

You're basically taking DC voltage, converting it to an AC sine (or other) wave, using a transformer to boost the voltage up to 120V, using another transformer (in the amp) to take it back down to around 12-20v, and then rectifying it back to DC. Each step converts electrical energy into heat, electrical energy you could be using to create sound.

I'm lucky in that my little VOX does the 120VAC to 12V DC conversion externally, so I can just hook up a 12V battery directly. Or since it also runs on 6 AA batteries, I could replace them with a larger 9v source.

IF you are handy with a soldering iron AND the transformer in your amp only has two outputs, you could determine the output voltage of the transformer and hook your appropriate voltage DC source directly into the amp, preferably on the down side of the rectifier, avoiding excess heat generation,and waste of energy.

This would work best for most solid state amps, although some of them have preamps that take +g- (I haven't figured out how to do the + over - thing on my keyboard, such as 5V ) type power supplies. Most tube amps have multiple voltages, a separate one that may not be rectified for the filament heaters, so they are much more difficult to deal with.

Its a little complicated with a Carvin amp: carvinimages.com/schematics/8045300revh.pdf

Those guys who build amps with external conversion to DC really have done us a favor, for this purpose...

My setup is very small and light with lots of playing time. It fits perfectly behind my Carvin amp that I roll around in an old lady shopping cart ready to go at any time. (This photo is with my old lithium 12Ah battery that was overkill and $350, the new lead acid 8Ah I posted above is $35.)

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 03-14-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    My setup is very small and light with lots of playing time. It fits perfectly behind my Carvin amp that I roll around in an old lady shopping cart ready to go at any time. (This photo is with my old lithium 12Ah battery that was overkill and $350, the new lead acid 8Ah I posted above is $35.)
    If it works for you, why mess with it?

( My mind was working overtime last night, and I had to get that out of my head so I could go to sleep...)

Quote Originally Posted by aremick View Post
    If it works for you, why mess with it?

( My mind was working overtime last night, and I had to get that out of my head so I could go to sleep...)
    Hmm, maybe because he saved $315...just a thought.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water w/Fremont soloist low G | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe | Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

That's kind of what I was saying.

Thread Information