Battery Powered Bass Amps

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I am looking for a portable bass amp so i can play bass while the troops play uke (acoustic). I tired some acoustic basses with a uke player at the local Git center and they just don't cut it. I tried a Roland Bass Cube 4 x4" speakers battery powered 5 watts. I have seen that Pignose makes a hog 30 recharable 30W 8" speaker. Does anyone have any experience with these amps? I just wan to be able to accompany acoustic ukes outside and inside.

i really dont have any experience but here is a great site for any reviews on just about anything guitar-bass-drum related
Harmony central roland link

the pignose wasnt listed on that site, but on musicians friend it was getting pretty good reviews, but it was semi mixed.

hope this helped.

i really dont have any experience but here is a great site for any reviews on just about anything guitar-bass-drum related
Harmony central roland link

the pignose wasnt listed on that site, but on musicians friend it was getting pretty good reviews, but it was semi mixed.

hope this helped.

Thanks, There are three out there I id'ed so far a Pignose Hog 30 $130-170, Roland microcube bass $229 and the Phil Jones Briefcase $$TFM (500+). I like the Roland but am poor.

I was just wondering if anyone here has played bass along with ukes using a DC powered portable amp.

I know first hand, what works for bass, ukulele and guitar in battery powered amps.

Here's some of my battery powered equipment on stage at the Ukulele Society of America in Carlsbad (San Diego), California. In this photo, you'll see Donna playing bass on the left in the back, through a Roland Microcube Bass RX on the front left. This was playing the Monster Mash for Halloween. There are also two Roland Microcube RX's and 3 Vox DA5's for the ukulele's. There is a Crate Taxi TX15 for the acoustic guitar on the right. The P.A. is also battery powered. It is a Carvin S400D. This stage setup is playing for audiences of 100 to 200. The Microcube Bass RX has an amazing amount of acoustical output for it's size and power:

Ukulele529.jpg

Here's another photo setup at the bar:

Ukulele514.jpg

Ukulele512.jpg

Last edited:
Just got the Roland Bass Cube delivered today from UPS for my son for xmas. My band mate uses it, and unless you're in a really loud rock-n-roll band it will do.

Best one I've found is the Phil Jones Double Four. Depending on the battery it can get 50-70 watts. Very powerful and compact. I use a computer battery to power it. I've yet to run out of juice using it. Have played 5 hours and still had plenty left.

There are threads on bass amps here if you choose to check 'em out.

Best one I've found is the Phil Jones Double Four. Depending on the battery it can get 50-70 watts. Very powerful and compact. I use a computer battery to power it. I've yet to run out of juice using it. Have played 5 hours and still had plenty left. There are threads on bass amps here if you choose to check 'em out.
Nothing else holds a candle to the Phil Jones Double Four. I've been using one for about 3 years with a laptop battery that lasts hours and hours, is extremely compact and amazing bass sound. I use it with my 25-35 person uke group twice a week in a large multi-purpose room, 30 x 50 and I've been told to turn it down. I recently used it for our holiday show in a large auditorium with 53 of us playing and an audience of about 200.

PJD4 & Battery.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Brian Griffin and I thank you for posting the thread on the Double Four Mike and especially for the computer battery. It's the perfect combo for anyone who doesn't want to lug around extension cords etc. to play outdoors. And, having an amp so small with so much power is incredible.

I tried several and none compared to the Phil Jones double four.
When battery is needed I use a computer battery.

If you already have a small bass amp, one solution would be to just use one of those automotive battery charger/jump starter/air pump with built-in inverter to power it. I've used one a couple of times for a small sound system for the caller at an outdoor square dance, and in an hour or so of use it only used ~4% of the charge. This would be pointless for indoor use but a very cheap solution for outdoors.

If you already have a small bass amp, one solution would be to just use one of those automotive battery charger/jump starter/air pump with built-in inverter to power it. I've used one a couple of times for a small sound system for the caller at an outdoor square dance, and in an hour or so of use it only used ~4% of the charge. This would be pointless for indoor use but a very cheap solution for outdoors.

I put together a small 8Ah 12v sealed lead acid motorcycle battery with a pure sine wave inverter for my 250w 15" Carvin bass amp that is very compact, light and lasts for a few hours, no need for anything big. A set up like that would cost less than $100. (My inverter is bigger than needed.)

Small Battery inverter rig 8Ah.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

When you are using an inverter, you are wasting energy (= battery life) generating extra weight and carrying around unnecessary weight.

You're basically taking DC voltage, converting it to an AC sine (or other) wave, using a transformer to boost the voltage up to 120V, using another transformer (in the amp) to take it back down to around 12-20v, and then rectifying it back to DC. Each step converts electrical energy into heat, electrical energy you could be using to create sound.

I'm lucky in that my little VOX does the 120VAC to 12V DC conversion externally, so I can just hook up a 12V battery directly. Or since it also runs on 6 AA batteries, I could replace them with a larger 9v source.

IF you are handy with a soldering iron AND the transformer in your amp only has two outputs, you could determine the output voltage of the transformer and hook your appropriate voltage DC source directly into the amp, preferably on the down side of the rectifier, avoiding excess heat generation,and waste of energy.

This would work best for most solid state amps, although some of them have preamps that take +g- (I haven't figured out how to do the + over - thing on my keyboard, such as ±5V ) type power supplies. Most tube amps have multiple voltages, a separate one that may not be rectified for the filament heaters, so they are much more difficult to deal with.

Its a little complicated with a Carvin amp: carvinimages.com/schematics/8045300revh.pdf

Those guys who build amps with external conversion to DC really have done us a favor, for this purpose...

My setup is very small and light with lots of playing time. It fits perfectly behind my Carvin amp that I roll around in an old lady shopping cart ready to go at any time. (This photo is with my old lithium 12Ah battery that was overkill and $350, the new lead acid 8Ah I posted above is $35.)

3 Battery in cart back 600.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
My setup is very small and light with lots of playing time. It fits perfectly behind my Carvin amp that I roll around in an old lady shopping cart ready to go at any time. (This photo is with my old lithium 12Ah battery that was overkill and $350, the new lead acid 8Ah I posted above is $35.)

If it works for you, why mess with it?

( My mind was working overtime last night, and I had to get that out of my head so I could go to sleep...)

If it works for you, why mess with it?

( My mind was working overtime last night, and I had to get that out of my head so I could go to sleep...)

Hmm, maybe because he saved $315...just a thought.

Top Bottom