Am I the only one for mom and pop type music shops?

ukulelelearner

Reaction score
Recently, I've been ordering everything through my local mom and pop music store. It's a great business and the people are super nice and don't for anything on you. I feel like I've been a bother because I keep contacting them for certain things wondering if they would order it in for me, e.g. my lanikai soprano banjolele. I would much rather order through them than through places like Sam Ash/Guitar Center (more corporate places). I was just wondering if anyone else did the same thing.

I honestly don't know of any in my town. We have a national chain, and a state wide chain. And a musical consignment shop.

Unfortunately there is no place near me. :(
C. A. House is very good but it's an hour drive. Not worth it for the few pennys I spend on music every month.

I had a wonderful store in my neighborhood at one time called Zapfs Music Store. I purchased many items there and took musical lessons there as well. I remember the ukuleles, zithers, accordians in their store window as a kid. They are gone now after a fifty year run and the neighborhood being what it is nobody in their right mind would open a shop in the location. So I shop on line.

Local music stores are my first choice always. Luckily for me, I can name at least four off the top of my head that, between them, will have anything I could ever want.

But that's because I'm one of the lucky ones. Many folks don't have music shops near them that even know what an 'ukulele is, much less carry them, and if they do stock ukes, the most they'll have are some Dolphins and a Kala or Lanikai. If you need strings or a case, you may be completely out of luck.

Ordering through your local shop is a nice way to use them for something, but when it comes to the higher end ukes, that may not be a very wise way to go. For that, it may be a better option to contact HMS or Uke Republic, or Uke Puapua, or one of the other vendors that are active on this forum. The reason is that they're likely far more knowledgable about the different makes out there than your local shop, and are more likely to help you get the right uke for you.

There are way more options that GC/SA out there, and I honestly wouldn't use them no matter what the circumstance.

Like myself, you are fortunate that the Wal-Marts of the musical instrument world haven't forced your local shop to close. Please, please keep on doing whatever you can to support them!

I refuse to support the chain music stores for the same reason that I refuse to shop in the big-box stores - I find it very upsetting that no matter what U.S. city I am in, the landscape is nearly always the same between the airport and the city center: Wal-Mart, Costco, and Westfield shopping malls with the same collection of chain stores, movie theaters, and franchise restaurants in them. It saddens me that these places have forced the mom-and-pops out of business.

Apologies for the rant but I'm a huge believer in voting with one's dollar. Spend it where you believe in what is taking place. If you believe in Wal-Mart's business practices, by all means spend it there; if you don't - enough said.

In today's world service is sometimes overlooked.
Some customers don't appreciate the individual attention a small store can give.
I have also been in many small stores (music and non-music) where service is NOT included.
If I am going to shop where I don't get the individual attention I want, I either go to a big box store or shop online.
Many consumers today are driven totally by price, while price is important so is getting a good product that someone stands behind.

I bought my Lanikai Monkey Pod from a family owned music store with limited success. The price was the same as anywhere else but even though they had a dozen different models and sizes they really didn't know ukuleles. The first one that came in had some cracks in wood knots on the side. It should never have left the factory. I had to be fairly insistant before I could get them to call their Lanikai distrubutor. I also had to tell them to adjust the action which was high.

I guess what I am saying is that I am glad I used them but it can be frustrating dealing with someone trying to sell a product that they are not familiar with. This is true for any store, no matter the size.

Like myself, you are fortunate that the Wal-Marts of the musical instrument world haven't forced your local shop to close. Please, please keep on doing whatever you can to support them!

I refuse to support the chain music stores for the same reason that I refuse to shop in the big-box stores - I find it very upsetting that no matter what U.S. city I am in, the landscape is nearly always the same between the airport and the city center: Wal-Mart, Costco, and Westfield shopping malls with the same collection of chain stores, movie theaters, and franchise restaurants in them. It saddens me that these places have forced the mom-and-pops out of business.

Apologies for the rant but I'm a huge believer in voting with one's dollar. Spend it where you believe in what is taking place. If you believe in Wal-Mart's business practices, by all means spend it there; if you don't - enough said.

Absolutely agree with everything you said, and the sentiment that was unsaid behind all of this.

I can still remember when West LA had a very local and unique charm about it, and when you could tell which neighborhood you were in (Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Culver City, Santa Monica, Venice, Mar Vista, Palms, etc) just by the shops and small eateries. Now? Heck, I couldn't tell you if I was even still in California. Sure, some areas still have a bit of local flavor (like the Sawtelle neighborhood), but even they are dropping off. Other than a couple of remaining nurserires and Asahi Ramen, even Sawtelle is getting absorbed. It's sad.

It's interesting to see everyone's ideas. Thanks! I have been so fortunate that at my local music store they carry very good ukuleles. There is a 'ukulele guy' there that can set them up and he'll order anything you want. He also gets people started and convinces them to join a local ukulele group! One day I want to eventually open my own music store (I'm a music ed and music therapy major). I want to create a music store that can offer so many great things and have a staff that knows about every instrument!

I sympathise with Mom and Pop music shops, but the simple truth is that perhaps most of them know nothing about ukes, couldn't set one up if their life depended on it, and only sell cheap laminates which may or may not be set up properly. As helpful and friendly as they may be, you have to decide whether you want to do a "good deed" or get a decent, properly set up uke. If they have one you want that fits that description, and you try it out and love it.....I say go for it!

Likewise, support the ukulele builders/luthiers and shops who have contributed much to this community, and build fabulous ukes.

It's interesting to see everyone's ideas. Thanks! I have been so fortunate that at my local music store they carry very good ukuleles. There is a 'ukulele guy' there that can set them up and he'll order anything you want. He also gets people started and convinces them to join a local ukulele group! One day I want to eventually open my own music store (I'm a music ed and music therapy major). I want to create a music store that can offer so many great things and have a staff that knows about every instrument!

Seems as though you and I go to the same local music store! :)
Motter's is great! Terrific customer service I've never gotten from Sam Ash or Guitar Center which are just up the street. Local music stores are great.

Last edited:
I try to order/buy from the local shops, either here, or in California when I'm visiting.

Bought my Fluke and Firefly directly from MagicFluke - but they're only a 90 minute drive from me. The Sceptre came from Ukulele Source in San Jose. the Kala through MusicGuyMike, the Cordoba and one of the Epiphones through a local shop, while the other Epi I bought from PedalFreak's shop. I won the Ohana, bought the Stella at a pawn shop over 30 years ago, I bought the Waverly Street used from another UU member, the Republic direct from them, and the harmony was a gift from my Father-in-law (the uke that started it all.)

I think the only big box store I've ever been in was a single Guitar Center, and I purchased nothing from them.

It is difficult buying ukes from the local stores, however. Of the three I know of, many pros buy ukes from one of them, but I've never been able to have a conversation there - they are always too busy to talk to me. One never called me back about a RipTide uke, despite 4 phone calls and two visits, and the one I usually go to stocks mostly Makala and some Kala, but their high end peaks at about $300. I've tried to explain that I consider that a low-to-medium priced uke, but they don't stock anything else ("...because our customers don't want to pay that much money for a ukulele").

-Kurt​

I'm with you, sister.

I can still remember when West LA had a very local and unique charm about it, and when you could tell which neighborhood you were in (Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Culver City, Santa Monica, Venice, Mar Vista, Palms, etc) just by the shops and small eateries. Now? Heck, I couldn't tell you if I was even still in California. Sure, some areas still have a bit of local flavor (like the Sawtelle neighborhood), but even they are dropping off. Other than a couple of remaining nurserires and Asahi Ramen, even Sawtelle is getting absorbed. It's sad.

I remember those days too, all too well. I'm constantly amazed that the area on Pico (by the shop where I spend all my time and money!) hasn't "gentrified."

I much prefer shopping locally over buying from big box stores. It's frustrating when a reputable mom-and-pop store gets crushed by a faceless chain that can afford to sell a pack of strings for 50¢ less. Especially when a truly terrible independent store (the kind that's been run by the same nasty people for 40 years, never updates its selection, and overprices worthless old junk instruments manages to survive.

In general, though, most independent stores will order you something strange if they don't have it in stock, while the chains just carry the stuff that's been proven to sell. And I've had success talking some small stores into carrying more quality ukes and string brands.

Certain things just can't be found anywhere around here, though, so that's when I'll check Hawaii Music Supply, Mim's, Uke Republic, Bounty, and all the other places run by good folks that know their ukes and go the extra mile. Heck, even if I can find it at the chain store down the street, I'm still more likely to buy it online from a dealer that cares.

I remember those days too, all too well. I'm constantly amazed that the area on Pico (by the shop where I spend all my time and money!) hasn't "gentrified." YET

I had to correct that for you :) After all, you do remember the Alligator Lounge, right? It was a cool place and I saw several shows there (including Stan Ridgway, which was AWESOME!). Now, I couldn't even tell you what sort of hipster place it is. Maybe one of those designer martini bars or something.

Sigh.

I prefer supporting small business when I can...and when they deserve it. They don't always deserve it.

The closest music shop is about three miles away. They don't have a great selection of anything of interest to me (they're mostly a piano store) but I still used to throw them my business whenever I could even though their prices were a bit higher than the internet or the GC about 9 miles away. I'll probably never go back after my last visit, though. I was there to buy a USB audio interface and some cables (200-300 dollars) and I needed the cables that night (I was on my way to rehearsal, in fact).

Their pro-audio room where all that stuff is was closed and locked with the lights off. I asked if somebody could help me and they said the pro-audio guy had stepped next door (only thing next door is a grocery store) for a minute and would be right back. After a couple of minutes I said, "I know exactly what I want, can't somebody just open the door?" "He'll be right back," was the reply. Now, it's not like they were busy - there was myself and one other customer in the store and at least four employees just standing around.

I cooled my heals for a few minutes but it was obvious they were lying - who closes and locks a room and turns the lights off and moves a cardboard display in front of the door because they are stepping next door for a few minutes?

Anyway, I left and drove to the GC (I despise GC stores) where I got exactly what I wanted for probably $50 to $80 less than I would have spent at the local place. After rehearsal I emailed their corporate office (they're a small local outfit with three locations in the metroplex) and thanked them for having such poor customer service that it forced me to go to GC and save money. I got a reply a few days later - no apology or explanation just a defense of their prices.

In contrast, the small town where I lived until about six years ago had a great locally-owned shop that rivaled a GC for selection and price while offering great service and a knowledgeable staff. Most of my guitars were purchased there. In fact, I still occassionally make the 100-mile round trip to go out there just to hit that store.

John

Top Bottom