Web cams.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I have a daughter attending college soon and she and her sister would like to Skype when she's away so I'll be in the market for a web-cam soon. (It might also be nice to be able to make some uke vids if I ever can work up the nerve.) Anyway, what minimum specifics or requirements should I be looking for in a web cam to get a decent, flowing transmission, not one that only captures part of your motion making the transmission look jumpy or herky jerky? I'd also like a decent microphone in the event I ever wanted to record videos but it doesn't have to be anything near professional grade. I'd like to be able to do this without having to spend a lot of money. This will be an entirely new venture for me so I don't know what I should be looking for.

I am also on this journey - bought a webcam with software, only to find that I hadn't got enough RAM on my PC to run them. You need 2GB of RAM. I had a lot of glitches on my computer that I wasn't able to fix, including needing a new graphics card - I bit the bullet and took it to be overhauled; got it back this morning. They also put a dedicated video card in - maybe this isn't essential - but you do need the RAM. That's the total of my knowledge - I might actually do a video tonight or tomorrow! I got a Logitech HD webcam - £25.

There are currently no webcams that will give you the advertised frame rate, even on a high end system. Webcams that are marketed as "720p/1080p 30fps" will give you 15fps at best, and these are Microsoft/Logitech webcams. One drawback is the included driver software. Logitech webcam software is junk, and the Microsoft equivalent isn't much better.

There are ways to achieve higher frame rates, but the procedure is beyond the scope of this reply, unfortunately. Suffice it to say that it requires complete uninstallation of the included drivers, and installation of alternative software and video codecs.

Whilst 1GB RAM is more than adequate to run webcam software, you are more limited by the fact that that isn't really sufficient RAM for most operating systems. I have 16GB in Windows 7 x64, and I'm thinking about doubling it. Processor speed and USB interface speed are by far the greatest limiting factors. An old PC will probably have USB 1.1, which isn't really fast enough for decent frame rates. Also, a slow processor will similarly hamper the transcoding of the video.

Another factor is the crap that's running in the background. This is likely to be a problem on machines that haven't had a clean down & reinstall for a few years. You'll probably find you have iTunes/Bonjour service running, Adobe updater, various intrusive bits of junk from Realmedia and Quicktime. And the real killer...NORTON! If you have ANY software installed from Norton (360, for example) your PC is probably being choked. For AV, all you need is Microsoft Security Essentials, and once a month, scan for spyware/trojans with Malwarebytes free edition.

Also remember, if you're trying to use a webcam at 720p/1080p, an older computer isn't really going to be able to handle the amount of data transmission across the Data Bus (imagine forcing a watermelon down a hosepipe).

And the biggest factor in all this...internet bandwidth. Upstream bandwidth at both ends will dictate data transmission, which will dictate frame rate, which will dictate how jerky the video appears. If they each have 880k upstream or greater they should be fine, but if they are using 2 tin cans and a long bit of string, forget smooth video. It doesn't matter if they have 100Mb downstream, each can only receive data at the same rate it's transmitted.

One other thing regarding the microphone. Some webcam software won't allow you to select an audio input other than the built-in microphone. Ukuledaveey and myself have the Kodak Playtouch video recorder, which can still be had for a good price:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kodak+playtouch

720p at 30 or 60fps and 1080p at 30fps. External microphone input, 1-2 hours recording on an 8Gb SD card, motion stabilisation, rechargeable battery etc etc. Brilliant for recording video and you can carry it around and use it as a HD video camera too.

Wow. Just had a complete system overhaul... still getting funny glitches - it's all guaranteeed so |I'll give them a call in the morning... but from what you say, Kahuna, it'll be interesting to see what sort of video I get, when I try to do one..... I've got 3Gb RAM now but as you say, lots going on in the background. The computer techies recommend Norton! I don't use it. Good luck Mikelz777!

I'm not especially technically knowledgable Kahuna so a lot of your information was a bit beyond me. I do have 2 GB of RAM as well as a USB 2 port. I also have Norton security as it is included free as part of my cable/internet provider's package. I'd be looking to get into this for a lot less $$ than the video camera you suggested though I'm sure it's an excellent product. I guess I'm more of a dabbler who will get into something that's "good enough". Like Gypsy, I was looking at a Logitech, maybe a Logitech C310 or something else in that price range. (~$38)

The C310 is probably one of the best webcams in that price range. There is a feature in the Logitech software called "Rightlight", which is designed to compensate for uneven lighting. While it does what it says well enough, it eats framerates. If you get that particular webcam (and I can't think of a reason not to), always try to use it in a well-lit environment with Rightlight disabled.

Hi Kahuna! Did you get my PM? Still waiting to get my computer back! I'm sort of hopeful that they'll get it sorted though. Meanwhile, sneaking a use of hubbie's....:D BTW my webcam's a C270. Can't wait to see how it all performs!

Top Bottom