Playing Ukulele while Standing?

CasanovaGuy

Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory. Playing the uke standing up can suck, especially without one of those straps. So, my question to you guys is:

What are your tips, tricks, or techniques that you use to play standing up without any gizmos like uke straps?

Dude, I can't even hold a Ukulele sitting down. I'm slapping a set of strap buttons on mine and using a guitar strap.

I play standing up all the time without a strap. I kind of rest the lower part of the body on my hip bone and use my elbow and upper arm to hold it against my body. And just holding a chord with your left hand is almost enough to hold up most of the weight too.

Don't wear a shirt made of slippery material, clamp use some kind of uke holder or stand between sets to relaxe the muscles in your arm between sets.

I put the bottom of the uke fitting right on the upper part of my arm, so the uke gets really high, witch I enjoy and let me play easily and comfortably, but if you're more punk rocker and rather having your uke closer to your waist I don't think there's another way than a strap! ;)

The only time I use a strap is for the Epiphone Les Paul ukulele, which is pretty heavy - body is routed out of a block of mahogany.

For anything else - Fluke, banjo uke, Sceptre, Kala... I have no problem holding it while playing. Sitting or standing.

I do use a uke hanger / uke stand to hold the uke while I'm not playing it, however.

-Kurt​

I have a high hold as well....Forearm and boob, no strap required!

I don't understand the aversion to straps, but whatever floats your boat. That said, I hold the uke against my body with my right forearm and cup the neck with my thumb (which also keeps me from doing any fancy picking or chording).

This did make me wonder, though.... I can hold my sopranos and even banjolele strapless these days (I started with a Uke Thong), but when I get my tenor will I need a strap? They seem so large to me.

This did make me wonder, though.... I can hold my sopranos and even banjolele strapless these days (I started with a Uke Thong), but when I get my tenor will I need a strap? They seem so large to me.

I can play all my ukes without a strap, but I can play the large ones (tenor) better with a strap, so need is relative, I guess

I don't understand the aversion to straps, but whatever floats your boat. That said, I hold the uke against my body with my right forearm and cup the neck with my thumb (which also keeps me from doing any fancy picking or chording).

Not an aversion to straps, just haven't needed them. Hasn't interfered with picking or running chords up/down the neck, either. It must be the way I hold the instrument - which is kinda loose, so I can move it around as I feel like...

-Kurt​

I used to play in a band and the violin player always insisted we practice standing up,since that is what we would be doing on stage.

Most singing teachers prefer you practice standing too. I know it is easier for me to do tougher songs if I am standing!

I used to play in a band and the violin player always insisted we practice standing up,since that is what we would be doing on stage.

Yeah, this is one of those lessons I learned the hard way... :)

I've used spray trim adhesive (sort of an aerosol rubber cement) to glue strips of non-slip shelf lining to the back of most of my ukes (yes, even the KoAloha). The ones I've done that to never slip. I haven't done it to my sopranos because I don't seem to need it.

I'm probably going to put strap buttons on my tenors though since they already have pickups and endpin jacks.

I definitely need a strap for the baritone but haven't put buttons on yet.

John

I put a set of strap buttons on my Fender a few hours ago (one in the usual place, and one under the neck) and immediately found that a couple of pieces I just couldn't play at all were almost easy. Some chord changes require putting 100% of your effort into changing position of fingers/wrist/forearm/elbow, and when 20% or more of that is just going into stopping the fecking thing falling onto the floor, it makes practising impossible.

ps. I should add that I'd tried with just an endpin and anchoring the strap in various positions on the headstock and found it too distracting, not to mention the strap kept getting in the way of certain first position chords.

Last edited:
Here you go. At 2:00, you'll see the best explanation I've seen. I play this way all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APYXhN8yUg0

One of the comments left on that video...

for people just learning to play any instrument, do not buy an electronic tuner, get a whistle tuner and train your ear to be able to tune. ridiculous to learn how to play an instrument and never learning to tune first. electronic tuners are for stage playing when you can't hear your instrument properly, not at home trying to learn something

facepalm.jpg

One of the comments left on that video...

facepalm.jpg

As someone just learning, I love the quote about the whistle tuner, I had no idea, but now I'm gonna get one, Thanks!

As far as straps go, I am going to get one for my baritone, because I don't want to have to concentrate on not dropping it until I learn what the heck I'm doing. Also, I've found that that shelf liner that OldPharte is talking about works great, but I haven't stuck it to my instrument yet, I just place a piece on my lap and it works great to keep if from sliding off. So, until I get better, that's what will help along with a strap while I'm standing.

Top Bottom