Playing Ukulele while Standing?

the best kind of uke strap is something with a hook like this:

Not the best kind of strap for us absent-minded guitar players, though... Seriously, I have one of those and it really does help with uke volume a bit but I have to keep telling myself the whole time, "don't let go of the uke, stupid!" :)

John

ya, i'm not really much of a fan of anything out there.. there seems to be a problem with the kind of uke straps available on the market

i think you can drill into the neck where it meets the body, and install a little eye-hole or strap with a loop or something, and then just wear a strap around your neck that clips into it..

those other ones do seem for a certain build.. a guy with a big chest couldnt probably use it..

ukes should all be built with a small clip or loop at the middle balance point on the ukulele

there are clips which just hook straight into the hole, without flipping it up, and just go around your neck, just a really simple nylon cord with a hook at the end

I have an endpin and another pin under the heel of the neck. Easy to fit and the balance is perfect. Just use a nice wide, non slip, guitar strap. The fastest way to improve your playing if you're new to the Uke' in my opinion.

actually i think my friend had one of those in the picture, then just took the hook off of it and ran a little cord through it to hang his uke on..

i dont know if u can buy anything like that

i think the worst thing you could use is a guitar strap that goes around your back.. just because it will be all muffled against your body..

Last edited by a moderator:
How did politics enter a thread about uke straps? There are appropiate places for those discussions, but this isn't one of them.

And I have to say this thread has really made me think about how much more mobility I would have with a strap.

And I have to say this thread has really made me think about how much more mobility I would have with a strap.

I can't begin to describe the amount of mobility that fitting a real strap to my Uke' has given me. And when I say "real", I mean something that doesn't require you to still support the Uke' in any way. If people can get away with a classical guitar style hanger, or a leash, great, but you still can't let go of the Uke' completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenzen, please stop trolling. Don't drag threads off topic and don't try to bait people into arguments.

Eveyone, please think before introducing controversial stuff into posts or sigs. If you do so and it leads to problems you just make more work for the mods.

Let's all play nice.

I can't begin to describe the amount of mobility that fitting a real strap to my Uke' has given me. And when I say "real", I mean something that doesn't require you to still support the Uke' in any way. If people can get away with a classical guitar style hanger, or a leash, great, but you still can't let go of the Uke' completely.

I have a Uke Thong, and it was helpful when I first started but now I don't use it. I would like a proper strap, but am scared to death to try to put pins or buttons or whatever on my uke. The 3m hook idea sounded pretty good to me.

i think you can drill into the neck where it meets the body, and install a little eye-hole or strap with a loop or something, and then just wear a strap around your neck that clips into it..

those other ones do seem for a certain build.. a guy with a big chest couldnt probably use it..

ukes should all be built with a small clip or loop at the middle balance point on the ukulele

there are clips which just hook straight into the hole, without flipping it up, and just go around your neck, just a really simple nylon cord with a hook at the end

I have an endpin and another pin under the heel of the neck. Easy to fit and the balance is perfect. Just use a nice wide, non slip, guitar strap. The fastest way to improve your playing if you're new to the Uke' in my opinion.

Be careful with this idea. Not all ukes have their center of balance at the heel of the neck. Top heavy necks will make the uke neck clock out of position, and that is very frustrating. I have a uke that I had strap buttons installed at the bottom and at the neck heel, and even though it was done at a music store, and the installer thought the balance would be right, it ended up being top heavy. I ended up not being able to use that heel pin at all, and connected at the headstock instead.

–Lori

Be careful with this idea. Not all ukes have their center of balance at the heel of the neck. Top heavy necks will make the uke neck clock out of position, and that is very frustrating. I have a uke that I had strap buttons installed at the bottom and at the neck heel, and even though it was done at a music store, and the installer thought the balance would be right, it ended up being top heavy. I ended up not being able to use that heel pin at all, and connected at the headstock instead.

–Lori

A very good point, especially if someone isn't used to wearing a "proper" strap with an instrument. I'm using the strap I use for my electric guitar, which is nice and wide and grips my clothing like an Egyptian market trader.

I'm planning to try the Uke Leash. I don't really feel like I need much, but I'd like to see if a little bit of extra support helps. It can't hurt, right? Have any of you been using it? If so, what do you think?
Yes I've got one, and when standing I've found that it certainly helps! If you use it while holding your uke in the "proper" way, ie holding it tucked in to your arm, it helps you to get used to this so that you start to need the leash less and less!

I bought one and then bought 4 more so yes it does help. I think if you by 4 or more you get a nice discount. Well worth the money.
I'm planning to try the Uke Leash. I don't really feel like I need much, but I'd like to see if a little bit of extra support helps. It can't hurt, right? Have any of you been using it? If so, what do you think?

Boy! I really need a strap of some sort...although I noticed yesterday, my uke was too low and I was missing the "sweet spot" for the strumming. I really need a strap for the banjolele...too heavy for me to hold.

I bought a strap

I was not keen on putting holes in my uke to install buttons for a guitar strap so I bought one that goes round your neck, under the uke and clips into the sound hole. Have to admit, I bought 2 different kinds, one was great and the other was much coarser material so I ditched it. I like to stand when playing and found that in chord changes in fast paced songs I couldn't play it like I wanted to cause I didn't want to drop it. It will still fall if you let it go completely, but just gives you that extra support when you need it. You can also angle the uke away from your body to have the back exposed for the maximum uke-awesome sound.

I was fortunate enough to get a nice old Martin tenor a couple months ago and found that I had more trouble supporting it and changing positions than I did with smaller ukuleles. When I googled "ukulele strap" I found this thread and others like it. There didn't seem to be any choice for really hands-free playing other than to add strap buttons, which I didn't want to do to a nice vintage instrument.

Long story short, I tried making something myself and was surprised at how well it works! After I showed it to some friends I decided it was such a good idea that I would try to make and market them. I call it the Mobius Strap. Basically it is a loop of poly strapping that goes around the body of the ukulele under the strings and then around your shoulders. What makes it unique is the route it follows around the ukulele body that holds it balanced in a truly hands-free manner. Also unique is that it has to have a half-twist built into it in order to NOT have a half twist in it when it is in use. This is not very intuititive but is explained in more detail at www.mobiusstrap.com. If people are interested and have more questions please feel free to ask here or via the email link on the website.

Top Bottom