Baritone tuned in 5ths to GDAE- STring Tension??

TheHighlandCal

Reaction score
I was thinking of tuning my baritone to GDAE, and I read that you can use the Low E, A, G and B strings of a classical guitar set ( the 6th, 5th, 3rd and 2nd) in order for the GDAE BUT would this be too much tension for the baritone uke??

If the uke was put together well, it probably wouldn't be a problem. You could also buy some lower tension strings from Southcoast ukes, ask Dirk.

It is a clearwater roundback, on another forum it was recommended to be tuned GDAE, so I guess I will plunge ahead and experiment.

I bought a Pono baritone uke tuned gdae. The stringset used is:
G ... classical guitar high tension low E tuned to G
D ... baritone DGBE set, move D over one space
A ... classical guitar high tension G tuned to A
E ... baritone DGBE set, keep the E

Torinsall, I realize I''m about eight months late, but I just joined and saw your thread.

How is this tuning working out? I have been thinking of fifths tuning for my baritone also. I am advised against CGDA fifths tuning because the first string would have to be tuned up all the way to A, which could damage the neck. So I have been thinking about GDAE instead. Are you happy with the sound, tension, playability, etc.?

5ths on a Baritone Ukulele

I may be wrong, but expecting a low G to "sing" on a Baritone scale will be disappointing. Perhaps a r/e G would work better.

Anyway, I use Viola/Mandola tuning on my Baritone: CGDA.

Here's what I came up with. The tensions are reasonable, and sound pretty good to me.
I had to be careful with the G because the next larger is wound (.030w) and it was too tight and too loud. I couldn't find a nylon .028w to try.

I use Mandolin chord shapes, and they don't seem to be much of a stretch on a Baritone. If you play Mandolin chord shape "G" it will sound as a "C". It transposes to a 5th lower. You could also look up a Mandola chord chart.

A LaBella .016 (same string I use for Soprano GDAE high 'E' string) -->Update: .016 was too loose - I now use .022 and it sounds/feels much better.
D D'Addario .034
G D'Addario .041 (.030w was too tight, and too loud)
C D'Addario .035w

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Top Bottom