Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living Water Strings on KoAloha?

Default Living Water Strings on KoAloha?

Have you tried these new strings on your KoAloha? I'm thinking about putting them on my new Concert. I love the sound of it now, but the strings feel a little too stiff for me, and I'm wondering if the Living Water strings feel any different to you? And of course any comments on the sound would be welcome.
    Also planning on exchanging the Worth Clears on my Mainland Mango. It is really a big job for me (arthritis), so I am curious as to your impressions.
    Thank you,
    hibiscus
    Black Bear Sopranino Spruce/Koa~ Living Water
    Ohana Soprano SK-38 Mahogany~ Martin
    Mainland Soprano Mango~ Low G Daniel Ho

I just put some on a Koaloha concert and while the t2s will always have a special place in my heart, the C string doesn't fit in the hole in the (older standard) bridge, so it's unsightly. Not saying I won't put t2s on again though. I think the Living Water strings are very fluorocarbon, but don't suffer from a "C string and friends" syndrome, and are instead very balanced. I don't find them at all hard on the fingers. They're nice, balanced, worth a try!

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

I just got some Living Water strings today but they went on my Kanilea. They sound very clear and have a nice feel and good volume. I have not tried them on my KoAloha, as I am quite happy with my PhD strings on that uke. Both of those brands are quite good and worth a try.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Have a concert set on a Koaloha long neck soprano. Really nice. As said before, very balanced across set. And tone-wise a good balance between warm and bright.
    -bill

Relationship status: Kamaka HF-3 Tenor, Kamaka HF-36 Lili'u Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Soprano, Fluke Hibiscus, Farnsworth 2000 Soprano, Hilo Soprano (you never forget your first)

Previous Relationships: Collings UT1-Koa, Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, Pono AT-SHC Tenor, Pono MHT-SH Tenor, Pono MPT-SH Tenor, Favilla Baritone, Mainland Red Cedar Concert, KoAloha Longneck Soprano

My son just put a set on his Eleulke (Bushman Jenny solid mahogany) and he loves them.) Talk to Southcoast Ukes about strings and describe the feel you are looking for. I have some soft lights on my Koa Mele Tenor and they are nearly too soft, especially the e strong (I believe they put a harder string on that set now). Lovely tone....surprised me Soft? Lights? But the Hawaiian guys in my meetup group like them too.

I've tried southcoast medium and medium softs on the Koaloha, and didn't have much luck at all, but YMMV. They're all worth trying, but for fluros, I'm happy to give Ken the business.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Thank you for your comments. I hope my strings arrive today! I'll probably try them on my Ohana Soprano first. My Mango sounds just wonderful with the Worth Clears. We are lucky to have so many choices! And I appreciate your not bashing one set of strings to promote another~that's not what I'm after
    Black Bear Sopranino Spruce/Koa~ Living Water
    Ohana Soprano SK-38 Mahogany~ Martin
    Mainland Soprano Mango~ Low G Daniel Ho

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to note that I just put a set of Living Water strings (low g tenor) on my KoAloha. So far, I am quite pleased. They retain the clarity and volume of the PhD set I previously had on it, but they are a bit smoother and more well rounded sounding. They are not quite as bright as the PhD set, but that typical KoAloha brightness in tone still shines through.

It looks as though I may need to order even more sets as they might be used on the KoAloha as well as my Kanilea now.

Resurrecting an old thread again..
    I usually love Living water strings, and have got (or tried) them on all my ukes: but too me, they didn't work 'that well' on my Koaloha Soprano.
    Surprisingly I found them a little dull compared to Worth clear.
    I soon changed back.

I guess it is becoming evident to me that strings 'work' differently on different ukes.
    You just need to change and try them all to find what YOU like most?

Living Water on Pono MCD anyone???
    'All the gear, no idea’
    KM-Ukuleles
    Ukuleles from the heart!

Yeah, I ended up putting the PhD back on after all that. I love Living Water to death on the Kanilea, the only strings for that uke for me. But for KoAloha, I still like PhD and Worth.

Thread Information