Living Water Strings on KoAloha?

I just put Oasis on my Kamaka Tenor and really surprised how much I liked them. Little brighter then the Worth clears I took off. My Kamaka isn't loud at all compared to my other Ukes so I try lots of strings trying to get more volume out of it.

DaveY, you have a memory!

I'm about to begin chapter 17 of your unauthorized biography. . . .

Yes, I did put Fremont Blacklines (*cannot recall if hard or medium)on my Koaloha tenor, but they were, alas, high G. So, I cannot speak to Koaloha's intended low G with Fremonts.

I will say that I like the Fremonts on the Koaloha because it just barely took the edge off the brashness. The tenors, as we all know, from KoALoha have much less harshness of sound compared to the smaller KoAlohas right from the get-go--but, if one finds the tenor a tad brusk, the FBL stepped it down a notch.

Actually, I'm like a dog in that I remember what might benefit me. I replaced Worth Clears on an Islander tenor laminate with FBLs, and it added some clarity and sustain, so I've been thinking they might be a go-to string for me. I like the idea that they could lessen the "brashness" of the KoAloha tenor, so I'll probably try them on there soon, first with the low-G set and then with a Fremont Soloist polished wound low-G.

I'm about to begin chapter 17 of your unauthorized biography. . . .

Actually, I'm like a dog in that I remember what might benefit me. I replaced Worth Clears on an Islander tenor laminate with FBLs, and it added some clarity and sustain, so I've been thinking they might be a go-to string for me. I like the idea that they could lessen the "brashness" of the KoAloha tenor, so I'll probably try them on there soon, first with the low-G set and then with a Fremont Soloist polished wound low-G.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but what were your findings with the low G FBLs on your KoAloha? I'm looking to return to low G and I want to try something different from Worth.

Uke Republic has them. I ordered a set of concert strings earlier this month. Fast shipping, too.

Last edited:
Have you tried these new strings on your KoAloha? I'm thinking about putting them on my new Concert. I love the sound of it now, but the strings feel a little too stiff for me, and I'm wondering if the Living Water strings feel any different to you? And of course any comments on the sound would be welcome.
Also planning on exchanging the Worth Clears on my Mainland Mango. It is really a big job for me (arthritis), so I am curious as to your impressions.
Thank you,
hibiscus

I don't have a koAloha or any expensive brand.
however i put living water renetrant G (high d) on my baritone
and it greatly improved the sound ( i have a rogue baritone).
I recommend them, also they don't fray apart in two weeks
like worth clears do and stay in tune very good quality.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but what were your findings with the low G FBLs on your KoAloha? I'm looking to return to low G and I want to try something different from Worth.

I can't remember exactly why I didn't keep the FBLs on for long (although it was sound, not feel or looks), but the stock KoAloha (Worth-y?) strings sounded better. Since then I have tried Living Waters (they sounded kind of muddled to me), and I now have PhDs on the KoAloha. I like the PhDs better than the LW or FBL, but maybe not as much as the KoAloha originals; my aural memory isn't very good. I suspect that after I use up the PhDs' life I'll go to Worth Clear, and I predict that I'll stay with them (as they are "very similar to" - as I've heard it said - the original strings). But that won't be for a few months, as I'm pretty happy with PhDs. Oh yeah, I also bought some Oasis high-G to try on another uke (Cordoba spruce top/laminate otherwise tenor), and I'll probably use the other half of the strings on the KoAloha (with a Fremont Soloist low G that I have). So those would go on before the Worths.

Yes, this is more complicated than it needs to be . . . I think my subconscious goal is to eventually spend as much on strings for the KoAloha tenor as I spent on the actual KoAloha tenor.

Top Bottom