Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good amp?

Default Good amp?

I recently got an acoustic electric ukulele, and I want to start playing with amp, I tryed my girlfriends fender amp, and I hate how amps always have distortion, does anyone know of a amp that doesn't have allot of distortin and sounds as sweet as my uke?

Lots for sale new and used. Find a very highly rated acoustic amp that you can afford. may only be a few with 4 to 5 stars in your price range. Electric guitar amps don't do much for acoustic instruments...they'll work, but you won't get that nice, woody, acoustic "tone" you are looking for.

YOur price range would be helpful in getting you appropriate recommendations.

Here's a nice little uke amp at the low end....5 stars
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...stic-combo-amp
    Even lower priced at 4 1/2 stars
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...stic-combo-amp

And yet more: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/searc...stic+amplifier

When you set a price range, you may find great used one for half price, a used one that is much better than you thought you could afford.
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 07-20-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

Hey man thanks, this helped allot, I'm new to this electronic stuff haha

Make sure the amp you look at is for acoustic guitars, not electric!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Look at the Fishman Loudbox Mini!! What a great amp for uke & mic. A mite pricy, but well worth it.
    Soprano: Sailor Brand SPC-S, Donaldson Vintage-S, Gstring Longneck, 1920's Martin 0, Makala Dolphin (YELLOW), Mainland Chili!, Roy Smeck
    Concert: KoAloha Sceptre, KoAloha Super Concert, Kala "Mighty Uke", Kamoa Grand Concert, Martin 2K
    Tenor: LoPrinzi Model A Mohagany
    Pineapple/Other: Mainland red-cedar, Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple (Mango), KoAloha Longneck Pineapple, Vintage Kamaka Pineapple, Kamaka 100th Anniversary Pineapple

Aloha from Charleston, SC!

I have a Mustang by Fender--while it is more geared to electric guitar, it is easily customizable by computer and you can find a setting to download directly to get the effect you want. I don't think that it is possible to avoid distortion, however, because you are electrifying an audible wave and rebroadcasting it over a speaker, so that is by nature going to distort the sound. But you can adjust to get the effect you want. The Fuse software that comes with it is easy to use.

This is the unit I have. It's pretty nice, very portable.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

Any good quality acoustic or keyboard amp will do fine

You may also find that you need or want a direct input (DI) preamp box or some sort of mixer with EQ if the amp doesn't have it. Most piezo pickups don't really sound all that great plugged straight into an amp that does not have a way to tame the sound. Personally I recommend something like the little Behringer 1202fx mixer I use. It will give you not only a way to plug in more than one instrument, but multiple microphones as well, and they are very inexpensive. I looked at several "acoustic" amps before I finally followed recommendations from acoustic guitar players to get a mixer and a simple keyboard or acoustic amp, or better yet a small PA system. Most PA's are designed to give a very clean sound. Some have a bit of EQ, some don't. I still don't have a PA, but I can take my mixer to open mics etc, if they don't have one, and it has everything I need to record at home with multiple mics and instruments and I plug it into my Pignose Hog 30 when I need a small portable amp.

If you have an interest in open mic type things, many people find that "the house" often provides the PA, but sometimes not a good mixer or DI box. So many acoustic guitar players just carry the DI and/or mixer to give them some control over the sound before its plugged into the house PA

Here is RaggyRagsDale talking about his mixer setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=690siQfrbLU&feature=plcp
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 07-21-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

A P.A. system and a D.I. box are a great way to get a natural sound. You don't need to spend a ton of money to accomplish this. The high impedance output of a piezoelectric pickup produces a thin, raspy sound through a P.A.. A D.I. (Direct Input box) matches the impedance to the amp to achieve a more natural sound. Here's an example of a lower priced P.A. system with surprizingly good quality sound. I own several of these that I use for quick setup in venues where space is limited, but still need enough power to punch through the ambient noise. Here's the Kustom PW50 available at Guitar Center for $99 bucks:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-P...1.gc?esid=pw50

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Thread Information