Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney View Post
    Look at the Fishman Loudbox Mini!! What a great amp for uke & mic. A mite pricy, but well worth it.
    This is what I ended up with after my amp search.I considered all the possobilities, and for under $300 THIS SOUNDED THE BEST. no bells and whistles, 2 channels tone, reverb, and chorus , very nice , clean cabinet. I use it for all my music needs. I plug my mp3 or laptop into it when I want prerecorded sound. it sounds great. I bought a preamp to use too, but have no need for it with this amp. handles active and passive inputs well. I got it for under 260 by finding the cheapest price and musicians friend / music 123 will beat the price. highly recommended.

Marshall AS50 - trust me. Superb acoustic twin amp. Two channels, fifty watts and a balanced mic input. Adore mine.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Vista (North County San Diego), California

The Kustom Powerwerks PW50 is lightweight, powerful, clean and stand mountable. As you can see in the following photos, it does well in tight spaces. It even has built in phantom power for condenser microphones. You can use the 1/4" and XLR inputs at the same time on each channel. With a built in mixer for two microphone/instrument channels and a third channel for MP3/CD, It's a bargain that can handle crowds up to about 60.

At Hulaville's closing party it was packed, so we used two PW50's, linked by a 50' microphone cable. You can see the one on the right, but not the one on the left:

A tiral run at Jolly Roger we used one that you can see on the left (it was a long flight of stairs bringing the equipment up):

A trial run at Bubba Kahuna's you can see the one in the center over one of the TV screens (they had the sound turned off on the TV's):

For a passive D.I. box on a budget, I recommend a Carvin FDR-60. It has three switchable attenuation levels to match the signal to your P.A. so you don't overload and distort the sound and a ground lift. One for $29 bucks or three for $59 bucks.:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/FDR60

For an active D.I. the LR Baggs Para acoustic DI gives you parametric tone control and allows you to notch out offending feedback frequencies.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/LR-Baggs...92-i1128134.gc

For a personal system that you can plug in or run on battery power, the Roland AC-33 is the ticket. It has seperate channels for instrument and mic. A 40 second loop station to layer your music. In addition it has reverb, delay and chorus effects. The loop station and effects are footswitchable. It also has a line out to run to a main P.A. system, stereo or mono.:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-A...23-i1511017.gc

Here's mine along with a completely battery powered setup in a park for a scholarship concert presentation:

Last edited by ricdoug; 07-21-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Here's Ukulele Blues (UU Forum Member) of the PW50 P.A. system he posted on Guitar Center:

"By Ukulele Blues

from Coastal, SC

Nice Small System - Good sound - Easy to set up

4/14/2012

Comments about Kustom PW50 Personal PA System:

We play with condenser mics in three piece ukulele band with on bass bucket player and two ukes and/or one uke and guitar. They are super easy to transport and set up. If someone stole them I would buy them again. We just did a gig with about 40 folks in a large room, old jazz standards and tin pan alley, ukes, bass, kazoo's harmonica's. Sounded great, was loud enough at a little over half volume. If you are looking for a nice small PA they are extemely good for the money. The ability to "chain" them together is nice and the Phantom power for condensers is great. Clean sound.

Phantom power is great. Would like a line out to record from. You can use one of the "link" XLR's but you have to make a cable. Can use the XLR and 1/4 at the same time on each channel. I have two and can set up 4 condenser mics and 4 instruments. Need to have a EQ or preamp for the instrument if using an XLR input on the same channel to balance levels. Light and have a really good sound for the size. Ability to link is nice. Have a sub out, but I have not used that.
    Played a few gigs with them so far, threw in trunk, appears to be sturdy. Sound is nice for it's size. Knobs recessed, steel grill, tight connectors. corner protectors.

Great value for the money I got two at a discount and they were a great deal

I use a Bose L1 system with the T1 Audio engine. Its a bit pricey but the Doggys Donuts. As a preamp/DI I use the Fishman Pro Platinum
    I am very happy with this system and would recomend it 100%. I also play harmonica and via a Digitech RP355 multi pedal also amplify via
    the Bose system.
    For amplifying your uke indoors or in the street using batteries the Roland Micro Cube is a great choice.
    Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    For a personal system that you can plug in or run on battery power, the Roland AC-33 is the ticket. It has seperate channels for instrument and mic. A 40 second loop station to layer your music. In addition it has reverb, delay and chorus effects. The loop station and effects are footswitchable. It also has a line out to run to a main P.A. system, stereo or mono.:
    RicDog - what are you mixing the mics with?

The microphones are mixed through two Roland BA-330's using the Stereo Link feature, SWB. Each has two microphone and two stereo instrument channels. We used this setup one day for 11 hours total on a single set of 8 NiMH AA rechargeable batteries each.:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-B...gc?esid=ba-330

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/m..._egfispd02.pdf

Last edited by ricdoug; 07-21-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Thread Information