Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good amp?

Ahh. Thanks Ric. The number of inputs required for any real sized group (like 2 or more) is something I think many newbies are unaware of at first. When I was growing up, pretty much everyone had their own amp and guitar, and that was the way we played. Now, I find most of the folks I meet in ukulele groups don't have an amp, let alone each one having his own. Thats what really flipped my thinking over to mixers, PAs and devices like your BA33, once I started searching for an amp. Most personal guitar amps come up short on that score, so its something for a new player to think about before sinking too much money into a personal amp.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Quote Originally Posted by G Hill View Post
    I use a Bose L1 system with the T1 Audio engine. Its a bit pricey but the Doggys Donuts. As a preamp/DI I use the Fishman Pro Platinum
    I am very happy with this system and would recomend it 100%. I also play harmonica and via a Digitech RP355 multi pedal also amplify via the Bose system.
    For amplifying your uke indoors or in the street using batteries the Roland Micro Cube is a great choice.
    Cheers
    Gary
    I love the sound and function of the Bose systems, Gary. We're eying two L2's and Tonematch Generators with a bass module for a house system. I just received an E-Mail tonight that we'll be getting a demo at our venue from Bose:

"Ric... Guess what?... I ran into the Bose people who are also here for the Uke Festival... She said she will be getting in touch with us soon and arranging for someone to demo a system for USA. We will see???
    That's the latest from Waikiki. Court

We open the festivities tomorrow at the park .... they are expecting about 10,000. I have to do a kazoo solo for one of our songs... I'm sure that will make youtube... How do I ever get myself into these things?"

With 10,000 at a ukulele festival in Hawai'i, it makes me wonder why Hawai'i cannot claim the Guinness world record for most ukulele players to play a song... Ric

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    Ahh. Thanks Ric. The number of inputs required for any real sized group (like 2 or more) is something I think many newbies are unaware of at first. When I was growing up, pretty much everyone had their own amp and guitar, and that was the way we played. Now, I find most of the folks I meet in ukulele groups don't have an amp, let alone each one having his own. Thats what really flipped my thinking over to mixers, PAs and devices like your BA33, once I started searching for an amp. Most personal guitar amps come up short on that score, so its something for a new player to think about before sinking too much money into a personal amp.
    That's what's so sweet about the $99 buck Kustom Powerwerks PW50, SWB. You can daisy chain as many as you want by connecting a microphone cable between them. They are totally modular powered line arrays. Each one of them is also a powered self-contained P.A. system. The more you connect together, the more channels and power you obtain. The same sound comes out of each one.:

1 PW50 = 2 channels and 50 watts
    2 PW50 = 4 channels and 100 watts
    3 PW50 = 6 channels and 150 watts
    4 PW50 = 8 channels and 200 watts
    5 PW50 = 10 channels and 250 watts
    6 PW50 = 12 channels and 300 watts...

I think you get the picture. If each member of your group brings a PW50, speaker stand, microphone, instrument cable and two microphone cables, you will always have the "right" P.A. system for the job. Ric

One final thought, jdawg - NO AMP is going to make an electric/acoustic uke sound like it does when it is not plugged in, because that's not the way piezo pickups sound. If you are truly after the sound that it makes when you play it unplugged, your best bet is to mic it. If you want to sing as well, your best bet is to look for something that can handle at least two mics on separate channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney View Post
    Look at the Fishman Loudbox Mini!! What a great amp for uke & mic. A mite pricy, but well worth it.
    Oh yes!!! Bought this one for my 8 string uke and man what an awesome amp!!!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    I love the sound and function of the Bose systems, Gary. We're eying two L2's and Tonematch Generators with a bass module for a house system. I just received an E-Mail tonight that we'll be getting a demo at our venue from Bose:

"Ric... Guess what?... I ran into the Bose people who are also here for the Uke Festival... She said she will be getting in touch with us soon and arranging for someone to demo a system for USA. We will see???
    That's the latest from Waikiki. Court

We open the festivities tomorrow at the park .... they are expecting about 10,000. I have to do a kazoo solo for one of our songs... I'm sure that will make youtube... How do I ever get myself into these things?"

With 10,000 at a ukulele festival in Hawai'i, it makes me wonder why Hawai'i cannot claim the Guinness world record for most ukulele players to play a song... Ric
    You'll love the L2 system, it's real quick to set up and tear down if you need to. Takes up very little space in the van and the sound is breathtakingly
    good. I've played harp for many years and tried many conventional amp setups and I can tell you that 'for me' the Bose system is such a versatile
    system that I don't feel I need to look elsewhere anymore for my amplification needs.
    cheers
    Gary

I plug my 8-string uke into a Roland AC-60 and it sounds great. Very true to the acoustic sound, with a few built-in useful effects and a separate mic channel. However, it can't run on battery power like its little brother, the AC-33. I bought mine used for half price. Not sure I would have paid full price for a new one, as they're a bit pricey.

- FiL

You'd really enjoy the BA-330, FiL. All the sound and power needed for most gigs. Ric

I've had the Fishman Loudbox Artist for about 6 months and love it. 2 channels, 2 different effects banks (if'n yr into that sort of thing) and 100 watts. It seriously was more than I wanted to spend, but it's been great both in rehearsals and onstage with my 7-piece band.

The Mini sounded great when I tried it, but I went with the bigger one--I'm such an American

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post

Wow, thanks bunches.......I have to check this baby out! Is this a great site or what.

Thread Information