Hello! -from a Nerd w/ a Passion for Writing Ukulele Love Songs & Creative Commons

Kara Square

Reaction score
Hello! -from a Nerd w/ a Passion for Writing Ukulele Love Songs & Creative Commons

Hi there folks!

Aldrine's Uke Minutes taught me how to chunk and more... I don't know why I'm only signing up to the forum now! This is such an incredible, resourceful, and friendly site!

I'm a ukulele singer-songwriter from Columbus, Ohio. My biggest musical passions are the ukulele and Creative Commons (specifically ccMixter). I'm working on an album called "Love Songs For Everyone But Especially Uke." It is comprised entirely of ukulele love songs (aptly named, eh?). As I've been recording the songs, I post the ukulele and vocal stems on ccMixter. This amazing international community of musicians remixes them! I full-heartedly recommend ccMixter to everyone! (Disclosure: I'm an Admin there.)

I've been writing and playing music since I was a teen. I started with an acoustic guitar. I also play the banjo and I'm a recording engineer. After having carpel tunnel surgery on both hands, the ukulele has proven to be much easier to play than the guitar. However, I was draw to it by its sweet sound and the happiness it seems to emit upon the player! It's such a versatile little instrument. For example, this started as ukulele song (that's from my comedy music project- Mind Map That).

I'm half of an electro folk pop duo Team Smile and Nod. We're working on our third album. The ukulele makes an appearance in quite a few of our songs (esp. the 2nd and 3rd album).

Next week (August 2nd), I'm releasing the first single to "Love Songs For Everyone But Especially Uke." It's called "Start Each Day with Love." It highlights the main concept of this album- the universal nature of love. I'm finishing up the "official" music video now. Weeeeeeeeeeee! <-- I'm quite excited.

I'm really looking forward to meeting folks here and becoming part of this community. It has such a naturally warm and supportive feeling. Thanks for letting me introduce myself!

Take care and cause ruckus,
Kara Square

Welcome to UU, Kara! :shaka:

I like nerdz.

Hooray for ukers in Columbus!

I have been talking to a recent central Ohio transplant about creating a meet-up. The local group that was around before I picked up the uke has been inactive and I would love to get together with others

...even though I am a total nUUb and pile of suck. I've been practicing!

Welcome aboard UU!

Welcome! :)

I have been talking to a recent central Ohio transplant about creating a meet-up. The local group that was around before I picked up the uke has been inactive and I would love to get together with others

Welcome aboard UU!

Hi pootsie! I was hoping to find some C-bus-ers! Please keep me posted about a meet-up. I'm definitely be interested! (Though I'll have get passed my nervousness...) I'm really more of a singer-songwriter than an instrumentalist... more of a rhythm uker. But it would be a blast to jam! Thanks for the kind greeting!

Welcome to UU Kara :cool:

Welcome Kara! I know it is a bit of a drive but all you C-bus folks are more than welcome to join our D'Uke meetings. (Dayton Ukes) We meet the second and fourth Saturdays of each month at Franklin Tavern located at 331 South Main Street Franklin, OH 45005, starting at 4:00 p.m. The next meeting is this Saturday (7/28). We're a small friendly group who love to welcome new players.

As I've been recording the songs, I post the ukulele and vocal stems on ccMixter. This amazing international community of musicians remixes them! I full-heartedly recommend ccMixter to everyone! (Disclosure: I'm an Admin there.)

That's a thing? Oh, COOL! I am so going to check that out. Thank you for mentioning it.

Welcome Kara! I know it is a bit of a drive but all you C-bus folks are more than welcome to join our D'Uke meetings. (Dayton Ukes) We meet the second and fourth Saturdays of each month at Franklin Tavern located at 331 South Main Street Franklin, OH 45005, starting at 4:00 p.m. The next meeting is this Saturday (7/28). We're a small friendly group who love to welcome new players.

Thanks for invite & warm welcome, Jennifer! I'll certainly keep that in mind!

That's a thing? Oh, COOL! I am so going to check that out. Thank you for mentioning it.

My pleasure! It's a really wonderful place- very friendly and supportive... and I'm the only one regularly posting uke songs, soooo... there's certainly room for more! If you do sign up, be sure to upload the separate stems for your track in a zip. The preview can be the whole song, but since it's a remix site, the stems are mandatory. If you have any questions about it, feel free to send me a message. I'm jazzed that you're interested!

And you know I am SO there!

Welcome aboard UU!

Top Bottom