Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goals For Beginners

Default Goals For Beginners

Everyone knows that having defined goals helps progress, right? Post you goals here and let's all have a good time.

My plan is to learn to play the Super Mario theme within 6 months... I'm a slow learner.

Post!

We have a group on the forum dedicated to creating goals and challenges for new Uke' players. Forum rules require that you have a few more posts under your belt before you can join, but I think it may only be 25 or so.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...hp?groupid=239

I should also have mentioned that we'd love to have you as a member of the group, so just do what I do...post inane gibberish until your post count is out of proportion to the value of it's content.

One man's gibberish is another man's balderdash. Or something.

I am working on actually sorta picking a little. Yipes!

Yes come yammer with us!
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

Your Super Mario goal is a good one. When I started playing I learned a couple easy songs but then began setting goals for myself of learning pieces that were way more advanced than I was. It made me progress pretty rapidly (from my perspective anyway). I didn't know most people don't try finger picking right away so I went from "I'm Yours" to "Over The Rainbow" to one of Ken Middletons crazy celtic reels. It was a leap, but not impossible and it got me into setting difficulty goals for myself.
    I also set goals with Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. I played that whole thing through a couple times a day and sped up the metronome every few days. That was a big help as well.
    Good luck with your goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Everyone knows that having defined goals helps progress, right? Post you goals here and let's all have a good time.

My plan is to learn to play the Super Mario theme within 6 months... I'm a slow learner.

Post!
    Hello Freak,
    After looking at the gymnasts at the Olympics on TV my goal is to try and touch my toes again before September. I can barely touch my ankles now. One would think those gymnasts are made with rubber bands. I would like to play more pieces from my old classical guitar books.
    Regards
    Jim

Duly noted on the group.

I didn't realize most people don't learn to pick right away until just now. I think my picking ability is out of proportion to my strumming; not that that says much. By the way, anyone got any suggestions to help integrate the ring and bird fingers? Because I'm basically only using my thumb and index.

Don't bother touching your toes. It's not worth the time of an old man or even a strapping young buck myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    By the way, anyone got any suggestions to help integrate the ring and bird fingers? Because I'm basically only using my thumb and index.
    You'll probably end up using different finger techniques depending on the song, but a good way to start integrating the other fingers is to assign them to strings - ring on A, middle on E, pointer on C and thumb on G. You won't always use that but it gets your other fingers used to working. Also, check out different picking tutorials like travis picking, 3 finger roll, etc...

i've not really got a plan so to speak, but if i'm ever bored, i razz through when i'm cleaning windows a few times. normally keeps me occupied

Thread Information