Ohio Kentucky West Va Meetup

Pondoro

Reaction score
OK some people from Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV and Columbus, OH were wishing that the Dayton uke group was closer to them. I got on Google maps and found out that Tar Hollow State Park is about 1.5 to 2.0 hours from all those places, plus Cincinnati and Dayton.

I will look into getting a shelter on a Saturday in September or October. I don't plan to camp but camping is available, I plan to spend the day there uke-ing and cooking and go home that night. I'll pick a date within a week. I have one vote for the third weekend in October, I have to check my own schedule first and that will take a couple of days. It will not be Labor Day or Halloween or October 13th.

The third weekend in October is do-able for me. Any weekend in September (sans Labor Day, of course) would also work.

I'll make any day work, but if it happens to be the 3rd week of October, that's extra-excellent. I'm on stay-cation that week. Let me know any help you need to make this happen.

I'll do my darnedest to make it. My only problem is I work midnite shift on both ends of the day.

OK, here is some info on Tar Hollow. We can rent shelters for $45 or $50. There is no admission fee to the park. The $50 shelters are near the lake and the concession stand and have electricity. The $45 shelters are "on the hill", are "secluded" and "you have to drive to get to the lake." The $45 shelters also have no electricity.

No alcohol is allowed.

I think the next step is to choose a date and see how many people are willing to sign up. Ten people would mean $4.50 or $5.00 each. I fully expect several people to say, "I will be there" but then have a change of plans. So if we get the shelter and only 5 show it turns into $10 each.

The other option is no shelter but then we risk weather. If a few people have those pop-up shelters we could use those, to lower the financial commitment.

How many could attend on September 22 or October 20th?

OK, here is some info on Tar Hollow. We can rent shelters for $45 or $50. There is no admission fee to the park. The $50 shelters are near the lake and the concession stand and have electricity. The $45 shelters are "on the hill", are "secluded" and "you have to drive to get to the lake." The $45 shelters also have no electricity.

No alcohol is allowed.
U
I think the next step is to choose a date and see how many people are willing to sign up. Ten people would mean $4.50 or $5.00 each. I fully expect several people to say, "I will be there" but then have a change of plans. So if we get the shelter and only 5 show it turns into $10 each.

The other option is no shelter but then we risk weather. If a few people have those pop-up shelters we could use those, to lower the financial commitment.

How many could attend on September 22 or October 20th?

Either one works for me

OK no one has said that October 20 is good but Sept 22 is bad. Everyone is either "busy both days" or "free both days." The Milwaukee uke fest is October 20 so I will have the Ohio - WV - KY uke meet-up on September 22. Please suggest an appropriate name for this event.

Last edited:
Watchyourtoes is reserving a site on Sept 22. When he has a number we will publicize it. We will collect money to reimburse him, should be less than $ 5 per person. I'll propose that we don't charge for kids - does that seem fair?

Name that event - Someone suggested "Midwest Uke Fest" - but that is taken. Plus there are a bunch of uke fests in the greater Midwest, stretching from UWC in Indiana to events in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. "Ohio - Kentucky - West Virginia" is tempting, but there are people in Pennsylvania who are almost as close. Tar Hollow State Park is too far northwest to be accurately called "Appalachia", although I have learned that it resides on the "Appalachian Plateau." I am leaning towards "Tar Hollow Uke Fest", unless a really great alternative pops up.

I'll do my best to be there. I'd call it Ukebilly Convocation 2012.

If we're gonna go the hillbilly route, we could call it "Tar Holler Uke Fest" or "Tar Hollow Ukulele Jamboree"

Or if we want to make it impossible to say without stuttering: "Jambolele on the Lake"

I am bumping this, we are definitely on.

September 22nd at Tar Hollow State Park in Ohio. This location is between one and 1-1/2 hours from Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV or Parkersburg, WV. It is just under three hours from Wheeling and just under four hours from Cleveland.

Jinxi from this forum is making a brochure and putting the event on "Meetup", when she is through I will post a link here. Watchyourtoes has reserved a shelter. The shelter cost about $45, we will try to pass the hat and reimburse him, should be less than $5 per person.

Please RSVP so we can understand the potential size of the crowd.

I will be there all day but do not intend to camp. Camping is available in the park, but you should arrange that yourself if you want it.

WooHoo!
Yippee!

I'm filling out my SPS-490 spousal permission request form now!

Top Bottom