Ohio State Fair

gitarzan

Reaction score
Played the Ohio State Fair today, with the wonderful folks from the Central Ohio Folk Music Society. Had a great time playing from 11am to 5pm (with a few breaks as I slipped off to the beer garden).

We played a wide variety of tunes; folk, country, fifties rock n roll, and some fun jazzy stuff. We had about 10 folks playing. There were about four or five guitars (that's my Sigma folk guitar next to me, I use it when the song is in E, I'm sorry, I'm ashamed), a flutist, two banjos, harmonica, a pair of tin flutes, a dulcimer, a harp, a washboard with sonic accouterments, a clarinet and my vuvuzela, more on that one later, and of course my Uke.

It's a noisy venue, even where we were sitting back in the Natural Resources area by the old log cabin. We had to complete with distant din of the midway, and "entertainment at the nearby amphitheater/pond where there were feats of chainsaw skills and log rolling and MCs hollering "Ain't that something!" every few minutes over their PA. Anyway it was ball. I played the Uke with a guitar pick to be heard. Also I have a hole still poked in the tip of my right index finger from pulling out carpet and strumming with it still hurts.

Here's the pic:
268234_4384001042691_1533460693_n.jpg

I'm the guy in a loud shirt, ukuleleizing. That's my Ibanez UEW10QM. I chose to bring that one instead my concert Luna Tattoo, which sounds a little louder and little sweeter, because the Ibanez has a bark when you hit it with a plectrum, it has a fantastic fretboard and neck (IMHO) and it's flashy looking. I saw a lot of folks watching me, sitting there chopping it like it was a mandolin.

I came from the guitar world and in my opinion, it's a looker:
UEW10QM.gif

Anyway, it fills in nicely in that sonic hole between the guitars and the banjo. I got a great compliment from a couple people. Fun.

About the vuvuzela... I was walking back from the beer garden, yeh, and there was one of those guys guessing your weight. I saw the horns and wanted one. So I paid the three dollars, the guy guessed wrong and I got to pick out a $1 plastic horn. I took it back and we all had a laugh. Later in the day, we were playing something the clarinetist hada long solo, so I grabbed the vuvuzela and collapsed it (it's two parts, basically a big cone and a small cone jammed into it). by doing that I could get just a little glissando going by sliding that parts and also cupped it with my hands to get a little "Satchmo" going. It was literally a "hoot". and everyone said it sounded great.

All in all it was a great day.

A few of us from around here are trying to get a uke group started. The COUP group seems to have gone dormant. Interested?
BTW I am a noob and not so good ... but learning!

Well you were at the fair, you best have went and seen the All-Ohio Youth Choir! It is an absolute must! (might be a little biased as a proud alum!)

A few of us from around here are trying to get a uke group started. The COUP group seems to have gone dormant. Interested?

I would be interested. Let me know if they decide to set a date to get together.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! The wood grain on that uke (maple?) is just gorgeous. :)

Thanks, it is. That uke is perhaps a little over finished but but gorgeous and gets a lot of looks. It also feels good playing it. Sounds real nice still, and while I've got a Luna concert cutaway electric that is a speck louder and a speck more complex sounding, but the Ibanez has a really great neck and fretboard. And it's a looker.

It also has a great "bark" when when you hit the strings. In the "group" I was playing with, I was competing with louder instruments at a noisy environment, so slamming the strings with a guitar pick made the sound really pop and took on almost a mandolin chop sound.

The crowd seemed to spend a lot of time checking out out, and I got a few compliments from other players on the looks and sound.

Yes! Yes! I just moved to Cols from Wash DC and am soo missing ukulele jams. There's a Meetup group which is very new and not active (yet) - http://www.meetup.com/BuckeyeUkuleleSociety/

I have been searching for COUP with no luck :(

Top Bottom