Another New Uke Day - Big Island HONUs

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Arrived home Monday evening to find a rather large box from Mim's Ukes on my doorstep. I wondered what could it be?

028.jpg

Hmm, a couple of nice cases, but what were they hiding?

038.jpg

Oh my goodness, a pair of sea turtles had swam my way from Summer NAMM 2012:

045.jpg

Built-in hygrometers are nice (if they're accurate):

046.jpg

Last edited:
Concert & Soprano, a pair of nice-looking little solid koa ukes:

052.jpg

053.jpg

055.jpg

066.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty backsides, wouldn't you say:

060.jpg

057.jpg

Maybe just a couple more:

062.jpg

063.jpg

The foks at Big Island Ukulele Co. really got it right with these two. All the bling aside, I just love the koa, and the maple bindings give them a creamy beige touch around the edges, almost like a classic car or something.

Of course, Mim gave them an awesome setup! They both play very nicely, with good intonation and a sweet, clear, bell-like tone.

Thanks for looking. Sorry if I got a little carried away...

Last edited:
Wow, those are gorgeous! I bet they sound as good as they look too. I wish I could post my new WW concert, but I lost the computer cord for my brfand new Nikon camera. I feel stupid!

Lovely indeed! That's some pretty koa & I love the Honu bridge & fretmarkers.

Code:
Congratulations on your beautiful new ukes! That koa is amazing!

As for your avatar: His new beautiful koa ukes said "wow" when they first saw him...."
As a result of these ukes, the world's most interesting man just got even more interesting.

Carried away? We love seeing these pics. Congrats on the new pair Steedy. And thanks to Mim for all of those pics from Summer NAMM

Congrats on the new mama and baby honu's....wow happy Strummings
Your Avatar reminds me of that guy on the beer commercial....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgiTeXKOOc&feature=related
Yes I got that woven uke crazy case too.. too cool...You might have
started something new...buy two new ukes instead of one..I am so jealous..

Last edited:
They look great. Thanks for sharing some pics. Enjoy!

Thanks guys, I shouldn't have bought them both, but they looked so good together I couldn't bear to separate them. Er um, they looked so good together I couldn't decide on one or the other. Er uh, Mim's the Debbil! ;)

I fell in love with the cutaway Tenor Honu xxx (you can probably guess why by my avatar) but I went off the idea when I found out they were manufactured outside Hawaii. Nothing against that at all, but I want a Hawaiian-built Uke for sentimental reasons, as much as anything. The Honu is still on my list...just a bit further down the line now.

Awesome looking pair of planks though pal, I'd be happy as hell to own those puppies!

That soprano was probably one of the prettiest pieces of Koa I have seen! Thanks for posting their pics! I love to see Pics of the ukes I send "out in the wild"! :) I am so glad you love them!

Oh baby, Oh baby! Congrats on two very sweet new ukes. You had to buy them both. Just think how lonely one would be without the other. I'd love to hear a sound bite of each.

Happy strummin

Top Bottom