Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makala Dolphin Thickness?

Default Makala Dolphin Thickness?

I got a Makala Dolphin about two months ago. After watching some YouTube video reviews on it, I found that the reviewers' dolphins seemed to have a thicker body than mine. Did Makala change their dolphin design? Just curious

iBankai145
    Ukulele building blog: geeky-ukulele.tumblr.com

Ukuleles, guitars, flutes, ocarinas! Oh my!

Forgot to mention, I also like pie...

Had mine for probably about a year maybe a little longer. It's 1 7/8" thick. Hope this helps.
    Mainlands RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iBankai145 View Post
    I got a Makala Dolphin about two months ago. After watching some YouTube video reviews on it, I found that the reviewers' dolphins seemed to have a thicker body than mine. Did Makala change their dolphin design? Just curious

iBankai145
    about 18 -24 months ago they (Kala) went to a plastic body from an all wood body. That is probably the difference you are seeing.
    http://tampabayukulele.com for TBUG info
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jtpokie for my videos
    and http://www.nightgig.com for my Drawing the Wrong Conclusions Podcast
    love,

That Guy 1:94

We have a small pod of Dolphins here and I had noticed a difference in thickness, but until I saw this thread I never thought much about it. The first two I bought about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago just as Kala was switching from wood to plastic body, one is wood and is about 2 3/8" (60mm) thick the other is plastic and is about 2 5/16" (58mm). We got 2 more grandkids about a year ago so had to get them Dolphins too and they are both plastic and are about 1 15/16" (50mm), and since they were so much fun I had to get one for myself about 6 months ago and it's also about 1 15/16". So at least from my experience the thickness has changed a couple of times.
    Bettah dan poi, Bettah dan pig, Wendel's laulaus frikin big!

Would the difference in thickness affect the way the dolphins fit inside a standard soprano gig bag?
    Ukulele building blog: geeky-ukulele.tumblr.com

Ukuleles, guitars, flutes, ocarinas! Oh my!

Forgot to mention, I also like pie...

Would the difference in thickness affect the way the dolphins fit inside a standard soprano gig bag?
    No, we have bags from several different makers and they all fit fine.
    Bettah dan poi, Bettah dan pig, Wendel's laulaus frikin big!

Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"

iBankai145
    I just received a Brown Dolphin yesterday and this was a replacement for a RedBurst that I received damaged a week ago. The Brown one is much thicker ( 2 5/16") and has more of an arch on the back side. Sound is noticeably superior with the thicker body. I thought maybe this Brown one might have been from older stock, but it has the same lot number as the RedBurst. Go figure! Anyway, let me send out a "kudos" to Mike at UkeRepublic for taking a bad situation and making it right!

Wooville
    Nelson Hopwood
    bassman on the banks of the ohio
    http://wooville.0catch.com

Mainland Red Cedar Tenor, Kala Chocolate Dolphin, Ohana BK-20 Baritone, and vintage 50's model Harmony Baritone and Ohana BK-70R Baritone.

Just to clarify, I am fairly sure only the back and sides are plastic now, the tops are laminate wood.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert

Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Just to clarify, I am fairly sure only the back and sides are plastic now, the tops are laminate wood.
    That's the way with mine....
    Nelson Hopwood
    bassman on the banks of the ohio
    http://wooville.0catch.com

Mainland Red Cedar Tenor, Kala Chocolate Dolphin, Ohana BK-20 Baritone, and vintage 50's model Harmony Baritone and Ohana BK-70R Baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by kenikas View Post
    No, we have bags from several different makers and they all fit fine.
    Dolphins are cheap, but get a hard case for it. If it is worth having, it's worth taking care of. Also, stickers work great on Kala hard cases.
    Mainlands RULE!!!

Thread Information