UU VIP
Reaction score
Kelii?

I have seen:

ke-LEE-ee

kay-li-ee (where is the accent?)

keh-LIY-iy ("iy" = "eye"?)

kay-lee-ee (again, where accented?)

If it matters, obviously in the context of the Kelii uke.

Thank you!

Kathryn

+1

I was interested in one a few years back and spoke with MusicGuyMic about it. I believe it is actually Keli'i, the okina (') means there is a glottal stop between the two i(s), like in Hawai'i. See the Wiki.

If you are looking to buy one they have a great reputation. I still hope to have one some day.

+1

I was interested in one a few years back and spoke with MusicGuyMic about it. I believe it is actually Keli'i, the okina (') means there is a glottal stop between the two i(s), like in Hawai'i. See the Wiki.

If you are looking to buy one they have a great reputation. I still hope to have one some day.

Well, you see it both ways all over the place, but it doesn't have the glottal stop on the headpiece, and I've seen people scolded for including it. Even on the HMS website, on the same page, you see it both ways. (!!!!!!)

...and yes, I'm taking possession of a Gold Series tenor on Tuesday. :) :)

Kathryn

Met the man behind Keli'i at a S.O.S. Show earlier this year, K.C.Moore is a super nice person who happens to build quality ukes.
Don't own one yet but it's on my list............................BO......................

Ah, but do we trust Aaron? Of course we do! It sounds like he's saying "keh-LEE-ee" - good enough for me!

Thanks.

Kathryn

He says it quickly, whatever it is. :)

Congrats on the awesome new Tenor! We'll need to see photos of course.

Last edited:
And the UAS continues on Kathryn. Congrats on the tenor. They are so much fun to play. How's the baby Pinecone doing?

Yes, but I think it is winding down. The baby Pinecone is doing well, thank you, and is a favorite around my office.

Kathryn

Heyo words are my strong suit! :3

Haha if you need an explanation, each vowel in the Hawaiian language has one (and only one) distinct sound.
So, any "a" in a Hawaiian word will sound like the a's in akamai. Every "e" will sound like the e in wahine. Every "i" will sound like the i in maui. Every "o" will sound like the o in aloha, and every "u" will sound like the u in hula.

So, Kelii is pronounced "keh-LEE-ee."
I live in Hawaii and my friend takes a Hawaiian language class, so yeah xD

Top Bottom