Oh for f...

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I've seen a few references here to the "Diddley Bow", but didn't know what one was.

I've just looked it up, watched a few Youtube videos, and now I want to make one so badly that I'm thinking about rootling around in the garage to see what I have.

I'm hooked! I've always been in love with slide blues guitar, but have never been any better than crap on a 6 string. I'll probably still be crap, but I don't care!

There is an excellent sequence at the beginning of the movie "It Might Get Loud" where Jack White builds one on the front porch of an old farmhouse, with disinterested cows looking on. When he starts to play it, it is (as my son says) Epic!

Yep, seen it. F**king awesome! I just never imagined you could get that range and sound from a one string instrument. I may have to get Chuck Moore to build me one.

I take it you've already seen Seasick Steve playing Save Me on his electric diddley bo?

Don't get no one to build one for you, build it yourself!

I take it you've already seen Seasick Steve playing Save Me on his electric diddley bo?

WOW!

Would it work with a homemade piezo pickup?

I've got Guitar Rig 5, I don't give a sh*t what pickup I put on it.

I JUST WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon if my old friend the Golden Syrup tin is used at the "bridge" end (like on Steve's) then a piezo could be fitted. Yikes, I could make the whole thing for £2.50 including jack socket!!

If I used an Aquila C string would it be a Diddley Uke? Heck, I just invented something!

Last edited:

Yeah...if you don't build it yourself it's not really a didley bow :)

I love Seasick Steve - hadn't seen that particular video before, though. Thanks!

I reckon if my old friend the Golden Syrup tin is used at the "bridge" end (like on Steve's) then a piezo could be fitted. Yikes, I could make the whole thing for £2.50 including jack socket!!

If I used an Aquila C string would it be a Diddley Uke? Heck, I just invented something!

Maybe if you put four strings on it and tuned them GCEA... would that be a new instrument or still a ukulele? Let's open the debate!

Yeah...if you don't build it yourself it's not really a didley bow :)

I love Seasick Steve - hadn't seen that particular video before, though. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it. That was the first I saw of Seasick Steve (searching for diddley bo videos after watching It Might Get Loud) and it got me hooked. Pure raw awesomeness!

Top Bottom