can i go back to high g

1300cc

Reaction score
i have a soprano and i want to the change the string to low g, now the thickness of the string wont fit in the nut so I have to file it a bit. question: if i want to go back to high g string, will this be an issue

pls help......

It could be an issue, but there are ways to fill nut slots (at least, that's what I read, never tried them myselve). I tried numerous low-g strings on the soprano, the Aquila red came the closest to not sounding horrible. It's not worth it with a body that small in my humble opinion.

If you go back to a high g, you may get a string buzz when you play the string open. It is possible to remedy this by filling in the nut slot with CA glue and then re-slotting it for a high g string.

It could be an issue, but there are ways to fill nut slots (at least, that's what I read, never tried them myselve). I tried numerous low-g strings on the soprano, the Aquila red came the closest to not sounding horrible. It's not worth it with a body that small in my humble opinion.

You posted while I was typing - I have filled in slots, it isn't difficult. If you use CA glue, however, I would recommend putting some on a toothpick and carefully dropping it into the slot a little at a time.

I've experimented with low G on sopranos, well I actually think it sounds better as a low A, i.e., tuned to D6. Low g sounds good played on this soprano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISj9LVIZbEY&feature=plcp

Hi 1300cc

It will be an issue. The string will not sit tightly, and you may get buzz and the volume may decrease.

You can always fit the nut slot, but then you cannot go low G. A better way is to get a different nut made, and exchange. Or, better yet, get another ukulele. If you do, get a tenor or a concert and use it for low-G. The larger body makes it more suitable for the low notes of low-G.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom