Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I've turned my matte ukulele glossy!

Default Help! I've turned my matte ukulele glossy!

Hello UUers,

I just bought a Ashbury AU-40 S soprano ukulele at the end of June 2012, it has a matte finish and near the playing area (upper bout) and on the back of the neck, the finish has turned somewhat glossy. I may post photos if anyone needs a look.

I'm not sure what to do. I sorta like the glossy look. But I think I want it to go back to the original finish. Could my sweat be some sort of varnish??? O.o

I am thinking of getting a pickguard, a clear plastic one. But what would I have to do to change it back. I've tried cleaning it, but that doesn't seem to be working.

This is all caused by playing. I use my ring or middle finger to do tremolo very often. Could that be it?

Please Help,
    Coleton

Ps. heres a image of a stock ashbury au-40s
    http://www.goughanddavy.co.uk/product_desc.php?id=1010

EDIT:
    Heres a photo of the front of the ukulele. The picture doesn't show how glossy it is.
    Last edited by Coleton33Music; 08-06-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Adding A photo

It happens. Try wiping it down when you are done playing.
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

It's fairly inevitable. When you play it, you're essentially buffing the finish. Most matte finished instruments will develop shiny spots where you come in contact with them over time.

Scotch brite scuff pad. Grey or Maroon. Depending on finish. To be safe the grey (gray?) is not as abrasive and the maroon can come after if not dull enough for you.

just probally your body oils...no big thing..

Your playing is effectively polishing the finish. I see it as a sign that you are playing your ukulele lots and would stick with it. A uke should not be a showpiece - it will get bashed, dented, polished - it's a good thing!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert

I don't care for a matte finish and am polishing all of mine, at least to a low, satin gloss.

It's not a problem..,unless you wish to sell it someday. No one wants a uke that looks like a pair of old gym socks.

So, I guess it's yours for life.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Your playing is effectively polishing the finish. I see it as a sign that you are playing your ukulele lots and would stick with it. A uke should not be a showpiece - it will get bashed, dented, polished - it's a good thing!

I agree 100%! If my ukuleles start looking like Willie Nelson's guitar I'll be pretty darn happy because it will mean I'm playing them a LOT.

You know when I use Nu finish and give it at least 4 coats..I notice the the polish fills the wood pores and I'd swear my ukes sound a whole lot better afterwards
    maybe it is containing the sound within the body....who knows..

Thread Information