Help! I've turned my matte ukulele glossy!

Coleton33Music

Reaction score
Hello UUers,

I just bought a Ashbury AU-40 S soprano ukulele at the end of June 2012, it has a matte finish and near the playing area (upper bout) and on the back of the neck, the finish has turned somewhat glossy. I may post photos if anyone needs a look.

I'm not sure what to do. I sorta like the glossy look. But I think I want it to go back to the original finish. Could my sweat be some sort of varnish??? o_O

I am thinking of getting a pickguard, a clear plastic one. But what would I have to do to change it back. I've tried cleaning it, but that doesn't seem to be working.

This is all caused by playing. I use my ring or middle finger to do tremolo very often. Could that be it?

Please Help,
Coleton

Ps. heres a image of a stock ashbury au-40s
http://www.goughanddavy.co.uk/product_desc.php?id=1010

EDIT:
Heres a photo of the front of the ukulele. The picture doesn't show how glossy it is.
P8060010.jpg

Last edited:
It happens. Try wiping it down when you are done playing. ;)

It's fairly inevitable. When you play it, you're essentially buffing the finish. Most matte finished instruments will develop shiny spots where you come in contact with them over time.

Scotch brite scuff pad. Grey or Maroon. Depending on finish. To be safe the grey (gray?) is not as abrasive and the maroon can come after if not dull enough for you.

Your playing is effectively polishing the finish. I see it as a sign that you are playing your ukulele lots and would stick with it. A uke should not be a showpiece - it will get bashed, dented, polished - it's a good thing!

I don't care for a matte finish and am polishing all of mine, at least to a low, satin gloss.

It's not a problem..,unless you wish to sell it someday. No one wants a uke that looks like a pair of old gym socks.

So, I guess it's yours for life. ;)

Your playing is effectively polishing the finish. I see it as a sign that you are playing your ukulele lots and would stick with it. A uke should not be a showpiece - it will get bashed, dented, polished - it's a good thing!

I agree 100%! If my ukuleles start looking like Willie Nelson's guitar I'll be pretty darn happy because it will mean I'm playing them a LOT. :)

You know when I use Nu finish and give it at least 4 coats..I notice the the polish fills the wood pores and I'd swear my ukes sound a whole lot better afterwards
maybe it is containing the sound within the body....who knows..

I have an old oak wooden arm desk chair for years. It has a nice manufactured groove in the seat for my skinny bum but over the years the ends of the two arms have taken on the most beautiful patina or glossy finish. It just means that I have had it for 50 years and enjoy sitting in it.
I think it is a sign of love of playing if your instrument develops a gloss or patina.

It's not a problem..,unless you wish to sell it someday. No one wants a uke that looks like a pair of old gym socks.

So, I guess it's yours for life. ;)

Heh, heh. I'm in the other camp. If I was buying a used matte-finished uke I'd rather see those shiny spots that meant it got played a lot. Usually a pristine "hangar queen" is in that shape because it wasn't good enough to hold previous owner(s)' interest. Same thing for fine scratches and light wear on a gloss uke or the slight depressions that form on some fingerboards after years of love. As long as the wear isn't enough to adversely affect playability, or the result of obvious abuse, then wear marks are a good thing in my book.

Such glossy or wear marks only add a special character to the uke and makes it uniquely yours. In my book, it adds rather than subtracts from the look. It shows the love of and the use of the instrument. I love the term "hanger queen" posted above and I share the same opinion, if it looks pristine and new than it probably wasn't good enough to hold the owner's interest enough for them to play it. A uke isn't meant to be put in a showcase and admired for it's pristine looks, it's meant to be played and some minor wear is to be expected.

I know when I get a new car...I am so careful...and about several years later and several scratches...I still worry but not as much....go figure...
but I am not that way with ukes...ha ha those may be my badges of honor....LOL

Well thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I think I'll keep the gloss on. And if the day comes that I want to sell it, scotch brite pads will come in handy if the new owner doesn't want that. But that won't be for a while.

Does anyone want to see photos of the ukulele?

-Coleton

Well thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I think I'll keep the gloss on. And if the day comes that I want to sell it, scotch brite pads will come in handy if the new owner doesn't want that. But that won't be for a while.

Does anyone want to see photos of the ukulele?

-Coleton

Don't listen to the poster who stated or implied that you wouldn't be able to sell it. Buyers of used instruments aren't being very realistic if they are expecting like new or pristine condition. If the day comes that you choose to sell it, provide good pictures, provide an accurate description and sell it as is. Let the buyer decide what, if anything, is needed to be done with the appearance or finish.

Also, yes to pics. You've got me curious now.

its just 'playing wear and tear' it won't devalue your uke one bit. imho it looks kinda cool.
Don't touch it you'll do more damage than good
cheers
Gary

Such glossy or wear marks only add a special character to the uke and makes it uniquely yours. In my book, it adds rather than subtracts from the look. It shows the love of and the use of the instrument. I love the term "hanger queen" posted above and I share the same opinion, if it looks pristine and new than it probably wasn't good enough to hold the owner's interest enough for them to play it. A uke isn't meant to be put in a showcase and admired for it's pristine looks, it's meant to be played and some minor wear is to be expected.

Heh, heh. I got a kick out of this reply and the changed spelling of hangar queen. "Hangar" (with an a) is the correct spelling for an aircraft hangar which is where I got the expression from (in the Air Force "hangar queens" were equipment that sat in the hangar and got cannabilized for parts to keep other planes flying). Then I realized...when talking of ukes "hanger" (with an e) queen is actually a better usage - as in hung on a wall and forgotten!
:rofl:

John

Top Bottom