New Uke Coming Soon With Patented Bracing System

Stevelele

Reaction score
About a year ago, I was walking in my neighborhood and strolled past a storefront with some of the most beautiful hand made stringed instruments that I've ever seen. I was ushered into the store by a luthier, named William Del Pilar, who makes all of his instruments himself. His father was a fairly well known luthier, and William has been perfecting his craft for decades.

William is an eccentric fellow. He spoke to me non-stop for a couple of hours about his bracing system and how it works and why it doesn't matter what woods are used. I don't have the knowledge about acoustics or stringed instruments to be able to determine whether he's a genius or whether he's more talk than anything else, but I am sure that he is sincere. His bracing system, BTW, is patented (not a figure of speech--he actually has a patent http://www.google.com/patents/US6169236), and in his storefront, he has some very nice testimonials, including from well known stores like the Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, who wrote to him and said that they believe that his bracing system is a substantial improvement on what preceded it and that his guitars produce a sound that marks an impressive advancement. And I listened to his guitar playing. I'm not expert in guitars, but they did sound pretty amazing to me. Maybe they're not different from other guitars, maybe they are, but they sounded great.

I ordered an ukulele from him about a year ago. No, he's not an experienced ukulele builder--he's built many small instruments like mandolins, but not so many ukuleles. I knew it was a risk, and I recognize that ukuleles are different from these other instruments and that this ukulele may be overbuilt or have some of the flaws that guitar builders produce when they try to make ukuleles. But I decided, what the heck--his payment plan was pretty good--he wanted to be paid month by month, and I wanted to support a local community guy, so I went for it.

He's not done with it yet, but I've visited him every month, and the instrument is shaping up to look gorgeous. Of course the only reason I bought it is because of the sound that this bracing system is supposed to produce. If it can have some of the same qualities of the guitar he played, I will be very happy.

I know that some will say that the patent is not that impressive and that it's no different from a regular fan bracing. Or that there are many patents out there, and that this is no more than a marketing gimmick. I don't know how to resolve those questions--I'm sure many of the luthiers who frequent this board might have a view. Anyhow, I'm just writing this post as an introduction to a post that I'll write later about the actual instrument.

Here is an article about William and his father that appeared a while back in the new york times:http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/03/nyregion/master-guitar-makers-are-leery-of-their-art.html?

And here is a more recent article on the bracing system (along with a sound sample of one of his dad's guitars): http://www.brooklyntoday.info/news/168-guitar-maker-takes-a-leaf-out-on-natures-book.html

To be continued....

Last edited:
Interesting, but after looking at the drawings and read the text, I am not seeing anything really new except for some placement and width of struts. The design looks to be a combination of Hauser, Ramirez, and Rodrigo classical guitar patterns. For a uke, that many struts could be problematic in my opinion. I look forward to hearing the results and wish him good luck.

Thanks for replying Duane. It's great to have an expert like you weigh in...I thought about putting this in the luthier section, but I didn't want to make it seem like I was asking for help, although I do think some might be interested. Del Pilar (the luthier I'm working with) says that the graduated width of the struts is what makes for a substantial improvement... I don't know though--you might be right. I have no idea what this uke is going to sound like--it could be horrible. But even if it's not great, I will feel good about supporting this guy, who obviously cares about his craft to an obsessive degree.

I don't know if anyone besides Duane is interested in this, but I finally got the ukulele this weekend, after waiting a year and a half! This guy works really really slowly. He wont build unless the humidity is just right, for one.

I will do a review of the ukulele later so you can all see it, but I wanted to give you my first impressions of the instrument. I thought that it would resonate more than any other uke because of his bracing system. I have found that it resonates very well and is among the best, but its performance does not better the top ukes that I've played. Where the ukulele really shines is how well it does as you play up the neck. It actually improves as you go up the neck and even when you play the frets on the body, the sounds are crystal clear, very piercing. It's sort of like the recording of Jake when he does the prelude to let's dance and plays all the way up the neck to the very last fret--that type of clarity.

There are many other interesting and special things about this uke that I'll get into later, so stay tuned for a full review.

Great, I will try to do a review in the next few days. I think at the very least you guys will be very interested to see this--it's an unusual ukulele at the very least and there are some things about it that are quite extraordinary.

It never happened unless there are photos or video (and lots of them) :)

Can anyone see it? It's working for me

The link is bad. Bummer. I'm excited to see this review!

[EDIT] It looks like theres a problem with all videos on youtube right now. Might be on my end. So I doubt your link is bad. I'll just have to check it out later.

initial Link not working for me, brooklyn today...too the last one does on you tube..

Last edited:
Well, whatever the effect, he's clearly passionate about his work, and I count that as a good thing. I'm sure the result will be a good impression of the hours he's put in.

Youtube is back up for me. Great review! Those high end notes are amazing. It would be really sweet if he could do that with a more standard shape. I wonder if this will be the start of ukulele orders for him. A 1 year+ wait is pretty lengthy though... Thanks for the video!

That is a great review...I know you've played many nice ukes so your opinion carries more weight than others. Sound is subjective so as long as you like it, I think that's awesome.

One thing I noticed with the guitar luthiers making ukuleles is that they tend to have more overtones than other ukes.

I think you have found a treasure. It's great that you went with a little known luthier. The man is an artist and even though he may seem a little eccentric, he definitely thinks outside the box. As you said, it has sound similar to crystal as you go up the fretboard. It can't be compared to traditional ukulele designs, in my opinion. It stands on its own and it definitely has MOJO! Great review, thanks!

Thanks--I really like it and look forward to getting to know the instrument better. Glad you enjoyed the video--guess it wasn't unanimous though--it has 0 likes and 2 dislikes! haha--oh well, can't please everyone

I think you have found a treasure. It's great that you went with a little known luthier. The man is an artist and even though he may seem a little eccentric, he definitely thinks outside the box. As you said, it has sound similar to crystal as you go up the fretboard. It can't be compared to traditional ukulele designs, in my opinion. It stands on its own and it definitely has MOJO! Great review, thanks!

Top Bottom