Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mainland ukes?

Default Mainland ukes?

Hello everyone,

For a while, I've been looking at better quality ukes than the one that I have, basically just upgrading and I thought a Mainland would be perfect.does anyone have a mahagony tenor or a mango tenor and would care to share their thoughts/opinions about it? I'm really interested and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance,
    Annemarie
    Oscar Schmidt OU3
    Lanikai Banjolele Lb6-s

Ukulelelearner is on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ukulelelearner/videos

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelelearner View Post
    Hello everyone,

For a while, I've been looking at better quality ukes than the one that I have, basically just upgrading and I thought a Mainland would be perfect.does anyone have a mahagony tenor or a mango tenor and would care to share their thoughts/opinions about it? I'm really interested and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance,
    Annemarie
    LOTS of love for Mainland here on UU! The owner, Mike Hater AKA "HoosierHiver" on UU, is a HECK of a nice guy & the ukes are sweet too. Here's a couple of threads to get you started.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...y-Tenor-Review

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...mainland-post!

Warning.. what's coming next is a LOVEFEST! We REALLY love us some Mainland...
    Soprano: Sailor Brand SPC-S, Donaldson Vintage-S, Gstring Longneck, 1920's Martin 0, Makala Dolphin (YELLOW), Mainland Chili!, Roy Smeck
    Concert: KoAloha Sceptre, KoAloha Super Concert, Kala "Mighty Uke", Kamoa Grand Concert, Martin 2K
    Tenor: LoPrinzi Model A Mohagany
    Pineapple/Other: Mainland red-cedar, Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple (Mango), KoAloha Longneck Pineapple, Vintage Kamaka Pineapple, Kamaka 100th Anniversary Pineapple

Aloha from Charleston, SC!

AGreed, Mainlands have been great for me. I have had at least three but maybe more, can't remember.

I love my Mainland Mahogany Slotted Headstock. I put Worth Browns on it. I find I reach for it the most. The sound is mellow without being too much so (that's what I was trying to achieve). I don't have a Mainland Mango Tenor, but I do have a Mainland Mango Pineapple with Aquilas on it, it has brighter, punchier sound.
    --G
    Flea with Custom Rosemaling | Kala Spruce Top Spalted Maple Body Tenor with Low G | Lanikai LU-21 Mahogany Soprano | LoPrinzi Mahogany Concert | Mainland Mahogany Slotted Headstock Tenor with High G | Mainland Mahogany Concert Banjo-uke | Mainland Mango Pineapple | Makala Black Dolphin | Makala Sea Foam Green Shark | 1950's Martin Style 1 | Enya Camp Uke | 1920's Banjo Uke

Mainland Mango Concert here. Only one I've ever had but I like it.
    Mainland Mango concert
    KoAloha Longneck soprano Pineapple
    Outdoor Ukulele (#28) soprano
    Canora (Canadian school system) soprano
    Kala travel soprano
    Wolfelele soprano
    Islander tenor
    Pono MT tenor
    Kala soprano banjo ukulele
    Pono Acacia tenor electric
    Pono Acacia baritone (BN-1)
    Risa tenor stick

Everybody else does B flat. I do B phlat!!

I have the Mainland Mahogany Slotted Tenor. Hard to beat for the price! I have Worth Browns on mine also.
    Mainland Mahogany Slot Head Tenor, Moore Bettah Custom Tenor

Let's see, my ukes, in the order purchased (some of the Mainlands were purchased from Mike and others I picked up used):

Lanikai LU-21C (given to the wife though she hasn't shown much interest)
    KoAloha concert (sold after I got my longneck)
    Lanikai O-8E 8 string acoustic electric (gave it away to a friend - had great setup, decent electric sound, but unplugged it had all the tone of playing a wet dog)
    Kala solid acacia pocket uke (gave it away as a contest prize)
    Mainland gloss mango tenor with MiSi
    Kiwaya longneck soprano
    Mainland red cedar/rosewood concert (converted to coffee-can resonator)
    KoAloha longneck (concert scale) soprano
    Mainland red cedar / rosewood tenor (gave to my son-in-law - was good uke but I never warmed to it)
    Mainland gloss mahogany cutaway slothead tenor with MiSi
    Mainland matte mango soprano
    Mainland matte mahogany baritone
    Mainland matte mahogany soprano

Anybody noticing a trend?...

All of the Mainland ukes above I regard as good ukes but the two sopranos are both truly outstanding - they really don't give up anything to my KoAloha. I don't know whether that is true of all Mike's sopranos or if I just got lucky.

The gloss mango tenor is also very good and definitely a keeper; not as loud as some tenors but very sweet whether acoustic or plugged in.

The other Mainlands are good ukes with nice action, good intonation, and good sound. I consider them keepers but I wouldn't be broken up over losing them the way I would the sopranos and the mango tenor.

John

Edit to add...oh, and a concert solid-body eleuke - don't remember what order I bought it in.
    Last edited by OldePhart; 08-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I have to agree, Mainlands can't be beat in their price range. I got a Gloss Mango Concert a while back and it has taken over the most played spot in my line up, I even prefer it over my Kamaka (although it not an apples to apples comparison, the Kamaka is a soprano Pineapple and I tend to prefer concerts).
    Bettah dan poi, Bettah dan pig, Wendel's laulaus frikin big!

I like mainlands for sound and price... it's a real good deal...not all ukes have the sound I like, but I can say this, mainland is up there for me...way up there..

I don't have any Mainlands....yet, but have played a few. They have a sweet woody tone and represent great value for the money. Can't count the number of positive posts and recommendatins I've read on UU. Good choice....fantastic customer service.

Thread Information