Songwriting Book?

MelodyMaker

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Wow, there are so many amazing songwriters in here! I'm pretty new to songwriting/lyric writing, just got my ukulele and was wondering if anyone out there would know of any great books that would help me progress in my songwriting career? I'm a huge fan of Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, and Jason Mraz if that helps? Just need a book that would help me have a broader understanding of songwriting and creating hit songs. If you come across anything let me know, and I'll do the same! :D

Thanks!
-Melody

I have Songwriting for Dummies, and I'm sure, if I'd ever read it, it probably would have been useful :eek:. As with all Dummies books, it's probably a good source of broad basics (though you might want to check Amazon or elsewhere for an actual review).

For lyrics I highly recommend 'Writing Better Lyrics' by Pat Pattison.

Hey Melody,
I just got a book called "Compose Yourself" from Amazon.com. It seems like a good book so far and it's a very easy read.

I would also like to recommend both "Acoustic Guitar Magazine" as well as "American Songwriter." Both are excellent magazines that have articles on topics on songwriting and I've found them very helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

For lyrics I highly recommend 'Writing Better Lyrics' by Pat Pattison.

Hey Melody,
I just got a book called "Compose Yourself" from Amazon.com. It seems like a good book so far and it's a very easy read.

Thanks for recommending these books! "Compose Yourself" is helping me apply my creative side (lifelong cartoonist and writer) to music, and "Writing Better Lyrics" has wonderful sections about the specifics of writng lyrics and very practical tips about the process of lyric writing.

You tube is a good source for guitar songs

You can thousands of songs videos and many guitar player give best guitar lessons on you tube.So search and enjoy.

Someone in the music industry in Nashville recommended I read "The Craft and Business of Songwriting" By: John Braheny. I've read most of it, and I highly recommend it for all genres.

Originally Posted by UKstudent
Hi, I'm a student at Leeds College of Music trying to write my first song. Any tips/books to start with? I will need to writemyessaysonline on the vocabulary databases for songs, like Flocabulary. Do you use any tools for rhyming?

Here's the list of books I've been using myself for songwriting:

songwriting.jpg
Some of them are rather old, but they are still very helpful. And I always use a rhyming dictionary.

Hey everyone!
Wow, there are so many amazing songwriters in here! I'm pretty new to songwriting/lyric writing, just got my ukulele and was wondering if anyone out there would know of any great books that would help me progress in my songwriting career? I'm a huge fan of Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, and Jason Mraz if that helps? Just need a book that would help me have a broader understanding of songwriting and creating hit songs. If you come across anything let me know, and I'll do the same! :D

Thanks!
-Melody

Look up "Danielle Ate the Sandwich." All of her workshops seems to deal with writing and performing songs. I'm sure she has a lot on YouTube.

Top Bottom