Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all vintage Martin experts...

Default Calling all vintage Martin experts...

Okay...not a huge "vintage" guy but I do have my eye on what looks like it might be a pre-1927 Style-0 but the body is only a hair over 9 inches long and all the spec's I've seen on these indicate that the body was 9-7/16" This one is at least 3/8" shorter than that. Everything else seems to match up.

So, what's the skinny - was there some variation in body size?

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

This sounds like a job for mm "Mystery Man" stan!

RyanMFT Guest

Well, I am far from a Martin expert, but I understand that the body size was very consistent, except for a small variation on the body shape when Martin built for another company.....was it perhaps Ditson....I can't remember. Anyway, those had a very slight difference in the waist, I believe it was a bit wider, but that was about it.

I know that isn't much help but thought I would throw out what I know. I am interested to see a picture of what you have found if you can share one.

Edit: Just found one of the Ditson/Martin ukuleles with the slightly different shape.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/uketeecee/6992444263/
    Last edited by RyanMFT; 08-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Where are you measuring the body? When I measure my Martins on the top, from the 12th fret to the tail is 9-3/16". If I measure the back, it's 9-7/16". That would account for most of the difference you are writing about. Mine are both older and newer than the one you are asking about and mine are all the same, give or take 1/16".

The eye you have on the Martin, John, is it your good eye? The one you measure with? At my age, I know, I have to be careful.
    How, about the ruler? If you use an official vintage Martin ruler, the ukuleles are more consistent in length.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMFT View Post
    Well, I am far from a Martin expert, but I understand that the body size was very consistent, except for a small variation on the body shape when Martin built for another company.....was it perhaps Ditson....I can't remember. Anyway, those had a very slight difference in the waist, I believe it was a bit wider, but that was about it.

I know that isn't much help but thought I would throw out what I know. I am interested to see a picture of what you have found if you can share one.

Edit: Just found one of the Ditson/Martin ukuleles with the slightly different shape.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/uketeecee/6992444263/
    Martin made ukuleles for a few other retailers. They made their standard ukuleles for Ditson as well as for other companies, but also made a dreadnaught style only for Ditson. Have a gander at this honey:

http://www.mandoweb.com/Instruments/...lele-1923/2021

Stan, remember to breathe!

Quote Originally Posted by hmgberg View Post
    Martin made ukuleles for a few other retailers. They made their standard ukuleles for Ditson as well as for other companies, but also made a dreadnaught style only for Ditson. Have a gander at this honey:

http://www.mandoweb.com/Instruments/...lele-1923/2021

Stan, remember to breathe!
    Aloha Howie,
    Wow that is a nice 1920's martin 5k drooling....here is mine in almost new condition, about same year....tee hee hee
    Quote Originally Posted by mm stan
    Last edited by mm stan; 08-07-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Okay...not a huge "vintage" guy but I do have my eye on what looks like it might be a pre-1927 Style-0 but the body is only a hair over 9 inches long and all the spec's I've seen on these indicate that the body was 9-7/16" This one is at least 3/8" shorter than that. Everything else seems to match up.

So, what's the skinny - was there some variation in body size?

John
    Could you have scored a prototype and got lucky John???? not sure what or why for the size discrepancy....

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    here is mine in almost new condition, about same year....tee hee hee
    Me want, me want very much, i'll swap you for a used wife, no returns

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Me want, me want very much, i'll swap you for a used wife, no returns
    Ha Ha Webby,
    Hope the wifey is not near your computer ha ha LOL...yeah these prices are getting ridiculous really....
    the only reason I got this one because it is in very mint condition...no nothing and the original frets look
    brand spanking new...no wear anywhere.... I do however love the gold shell...and it is sweet as ever..
    actually it looks like it was bought and strummed a few times and never used again..... if you come to hawaii
    I will let you play it...MM Stan back to our regular thread...LOL don't wanna hijack my friend John's thread...
    Last edited by mm stan; 08-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Oh My God....
    Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    Aloha Howie,
    Wow that is a nice 1920's martin 5k drooling....here is mine in almost new condition, about same year....tee hee hee

Thread Information