Koa vs Maple/spruce

I have a spruce top / koa s&B which is so warm that I have to use Savarez Alliance to brighten it. It sounded warmer than any of my all koa woods in the past.

I like Koa ukuleles because they are the "traditional" wood that Hawaiian ukuleles are made from, they are beautiful, and the two that I have sound really nice.
I also have two ukuleles made from Milo wood, another traditional Hawaiian wood, usually used to make calabashes and especially to`ere, the polynesian log drum. I really like the sound of the Milo ukuleles, lots of volume.
I just got a Kamoa GC-700 that is made of Tiger Maple. It rings and rings, you can actually hear like an echo or overtone effect while you are playing - remarkable, and I don't think any of my other ukuleles do that, or certainly not to the same degree as the maple.

I say of YOU like the way it looks and the way it sounds, then it is good for YOU!

I've played with cedar/rosewood, spruce/maple, mahogany and koa. All but the koa are the same scale and maker, which provides what I would consider a pretty good basis for comparison. The verdict - I like 'em all!

My koa is probably the most 'Hawaiian' - concert scale pineapple, and is great for laid back strumming sessions. The three tenors all have their merits, and I'm always surprised at how well the mahogany compares to the other two. What started as an experiment to determine what woods I would select for a custom has not proven very conclusive.

Top Bottom