New LANIKAI (Kanilea) "Super" Concert Koa Ukulele on Ebay $600

I bought that Lanikai (kanilea) super concert last night. I paid $499.00 including shipping. I am pretty new to ukes (not to guitars) and all I wanted was the best tone sounding uke I could buy for the least amount of dollars. Am I correct to assume that this Kanilea made Uke is a K-1 super concert with a different label? I am under the assumption that the tone of this model will be exceptional with regard to the bright sweet koa sound found on Kamakas and Kanileas.

My guess is that this is pretty nice instrument for only $499.00 and it is a NOS model so its never been used before and is 100% cosmetically perfect. Anyone think I could have gotten more for my money somewhere else?

Should have asked this question BEFORE buying! But I could not help myself. That Uke looked too nice to pass up, and it was their last one!

Thanks in advance!!

Mahalo

Hello, and welcome to UU.
ALMOST the same. I looked into one of these several years ago. It is my understanding that they do NOT have the TRU bracing system of the current Kanile'a ukes. I have not seen one like yours in person. Let us know how it is when it arrives. It should still be a good sounding uke.
Link to Kanile'a site showing the TRU bracing system.
http://kanileaukulele.com/kanileaPr...5.php?osCsid=beefaaff60033d3da6e87a6de7f62a76
I have had a Kanile'a K-1 concert for about a year and really like it. Enjoy.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the explanation and for the warm welcome. What you are saying makes perfect sense. As I understand it Kanilea has not made any Ukes for anyone else since roughly 2009. So the uke I purchased was made before the TRU bracing was introduced At the time Joe Souza was making Ukes for Lanikai the Lanikai Uke probably was identical to the Kanilea K-1 super concert that was being manufactured at that time. I would not expect a 3 year old NOS uke to have any of the recent innovations.

When I get it, I will definitely let you know how it sounds. Even without the newest bracing I suspect that it being made by Souza's hands with an all select koa body that the tone will be pretty pleasing!

At least I hope so!

Mahalo again

Mark

I have played those Lanikai superconcerts made by Kanilea. I played quite a few actually. There is no mistaking it is made by Kanilea. They have that nice bubbly tone. For $500 you couldn't have done any better my friend. No way. And you got it brand new shipped to your door? What a deal. I'm jealous.

I used to own a Lanikai/Kanile'a soprano and it was a lovely instrument. You did well, deal-wise. I paid almost that much for the soprano a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom