Shiny new Cuban Soprano

David Newton

Reaction score
This is a all-Cuban Mahogany Soprano. I know I post some stuff, but not much of my custom ukes. This wood is from a Florida hurricane Rita trashed tree, supplied by Mike McGrail.
It has Brazilian trim that is as dark as Ebony. Shellac finish. Thanks.

ulbert%202%20front.JPG

ulbert%202%20back.JPG

ulbert%202%20head.JPG

Wow!, That is a beauty!
That's my idea of how a ukulele should look. Just great.

Lovely work. Congrats.

Yup, that is the very defintion of elegance. Everything right where it needs to be, and nothing that doesn't need to be there. Beautiful!

Cuban Mahogany is such beautiful wood and a pleasure to work with. I built a tenor from some that came down in Sarasota FL. because it was dropping seed pods on to many BMWs and Mercs in a nice neighborhood and breaking windshields. the insurance company acquired the permit... the whole tree was salvaged and milled. I don't think any went to the dump except for the branches 2" diameter and under.

I don't know enough about wood but Cuban Mahogany makes it sound more exotic and more epensive. Very nice!

I don't know enough about wood but Cuban Mahogany makes it sound more exotic and more expensive.

Actually not, at least not near Koa prices. The guy I got it from has very reasonable pricing, that is why I mentioned his name, so other builders could try him.
It does have a very exotic look though, and works very well, bends easy. I like to work Mahogany of all kinds, this is just a special variety.

David:
I just went to your site. Good lord, man. Those are some beautiful guitars! That tenor is the stuff of dreams.

Top Bottom