Slow Train Through Georgia - Norman Blake cover

Thanks for such a positive comment, Campbell. I've always enjoyed trying to do multitrack recordings and the challenge of making things more complicated, but one of the things I like most about the Seasons competitions is the way it motivates me to come up with solo arrangements and get them to the point where I'm happy with a single take recording..... thanks for watching and saying something so nice.....

Frickin' awesome... Totally sold it. What kind of mic are you using? Any preamp. Balance sounded great between the vocal and uke and there was a great clarity to both.

Nicely done.

skidoo- this is wonderful. So tastefully played and sung - a perfect rendition of Norman Blake's beautiful song.

thanks so much for the kind words, Myrna - this is one of my favorite tunes from one of my favorite records, so I put a lot of work into trying to get it sounding good. It's hard for me to play these sorts of tune on the ukulele - after years of Travis picking on the guitar, it's just plain weird trying to do it on a reentrant tuned ukulele and get the same sort of feel.....

Frickin' awesome... Totally sold it. What kind of mic are you using? Any preamp. Balance sounded great between the vocal and uke and there was a great clarity to both.

Nicely done.

thanks, man - I have a couple of buddies that know a great deal about sound and recording and they've helped me figure out what little I know about it..... I'm using an MXL V250 mic running through a Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp. It picks up the ukulele pretty well, but I also captured a separate track using the pickup on the instrument, running through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI box, so the ukulele sound is a blend of mic and pickup, about 70% mic and 30% line in. I've started recording instruments with pickups this way just about all the time. It allows me to add a bit of reverb and fatten up the ukulele's tone on the pickup track without effecting the voice or the natural acoustic sound picked up by the mic - you can also really fine tune the relative levels between the voice and instrument by adjusting the volume on the pickup track, as well.....

Last edited:
thanks, man - I have a couple of buddies that know a great deal about sound and recording and they've helped me figure out what little I know about it..... I'm using an MXL V250 mic running through a Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp. It picks up the ukulele pretty well, but I also captured a separate track using the pickup on the instrument, running through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI box, so the ukulele sound is a blend of mic and pickup, about 70% mic and 30% line in. I've started recording instruments with pickups this way just about all the time. It allows me to add a bit of reverb and fatten up the ukulele's tone on the pickup track without effecting the voice or the natural acoustic sound picked up by the mic - you can also really fine tune the relative levels between the voice and instrument by adjusting the volume on the pickup track, as well.....

I think Gerald Ross uses a similar technique. Very effective. It all sounded very natural and balanced. Spots (if he is still around) would love it.

gee Bill, this is so bloomin good, gave me the chicken skin. The audio quality of your clips these days has seriously gone to another level. Visually too. And as for your playing and singing, I think it's just unreal to watch you - quickly - develop new skills and refine your old ones. This is such a wonderful arrangement. You are fast becoming one of the best performers around mate and I mean that sincerely. It's a blessing to watch this unfold and I look forward to the rest of the journey brother. Magnificent.
:cheers:

Holy smokes, Jon - I can't tell you what that comment means to me, coming from you..... doing these videos over the last year - and all the support and encouragement from the folks here - is the main reason I'm improving, I think..... the fun and sharing community here not only serves as a positive motivation to practice, it also provides an excellent ongoing tutorial, watching you and the other top folks that post videos, learning from what you make and share with us. So thanks for the kind words and the inspiration - looking forward to seeing where we all go from here.....

I enjoyed the "heck" out of that! "Super-Duper"!

Top Bottom