"Your Home Is where You're Happy"

H

Hippie Dribble

1967. Charles Manson.

well, Manson was a depraved and restless soul, but an interesting songwriter as well. This was one of his sweeter tunes...

I recorded this a few weeks ago but pulled it from yootoob after I thought too hard about the moral implications. Anyway, a fellow member encouraged me to repost as he was keen on learning the song. So I humbly offer it up here.

This song is most often accused of being little more than a self indulgent rant. I always wonder whether commentaries would be so harsh had it been written by someone else. To me, the song follows a definite narrative progression: (i) a statement about one's home as being a place of peace and sanctity (ii) a plea to abandon the old rambling, rootless existence of youth and settle down, and finally (iii) the songs ends with a defiant assertion that love is the real secret to contentment, and that, happiness finds its home in he who carries love around on the inside.

One senses the desperate cries of a bruised and broken life in these lyrics. You be the judge.

This was my entry for the 23rd season of uke: HOMES and HOUSES. Thanks Sean. Blessings all and thankyou for watching. :) I'll post lyrics and chords below...

Love the repost...and now????
Well, you know- part of me is missing mate :)
This is a doozy of a song, even if Uncle Charlie wrote it out on Spahn Ranch

"YOUR HOME IS WHERE YOU'RE HAPPY"
1967. Charles Manson. arr by eugene.

(C)(F)x2

(C)Your home is (F)where you're (C)happy(F)
(C)It's not (F)where you're not (C)free(F)
(C)Your home is (F)where you can (C)be what you (F)are
(C)Cause you were just (F)born to (C)be(F)

(C)Now they'll (F)show you their (C)castles(F)
And (C)diamonds (F)for all to (C)see(F)
(C)But they'll never (F)show you their (C)peace of (F)mind
(C)Cause they don't know (F)how to be (C)free

So (F)burn all your (Em)bridges
(Am)Leave your life be(Em)hind
(F)You can do what you (Em)want to do
(F)Cause you're strong in your (C)mind(F)(C)(F)

(C)And any(F)where you might (C)wander(F)
(C)You can make-a (F)that your (C)home(F)
(C)Just as long as (F)you've got (C)love in your (F)heart
(C)You'll never (F)be a(C)lone(F)
(C)Just as long as (F)you've got (C)love in your (F)heart
(C)You'll never (F)be a(C)lo - (F)o - o- o - one(C)
You'll never (F)be a(C)lone - (F)o - o - o - (C)one

C = 0003
F = 2013
Em = 0432
Am = 2000

Jon, Can't thank you enough for posting this again. I love everything about your performance here. It's a great song (IMHO), despite it's author. I just have to try to not think of Manson when I play it. I greatly appreciate the lyrics and chords you included. Keep that love in your heart brother and keep sharing great music.

Aloha Bruddah Jon,
Missed this one again...how cool...ha ha loved the song and playing like usual...woo hoo and thank you for the chords...

Top Bottom