Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Uke for Me! Donaldson Tenor Cutaway

Red face New Uke for Me! Donaldson Tenor Cutaway - Video Review now posted!

Sound Sample now posted.

Wanted to post some pics of my Donaldson. This is my second one as the first one sounded good but my arm brushed against the bridge when strumming as it was connected at the 12th fret. Brad told me to return it and he'll make me a new one! Here is the original post.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...of-Tenor-on-UU!!!

There were a couple of changes he made. The most obvious is that it's connected at the 14th fret so the bridge is higher. Secondly, I asked for Ebony binding w/ Maple purfling on the fretboard and headstock. I also went with larger frets and it is so much easier for me to play. And of course, used koa this time around, which required a diff't finish to highlight the beauty of the wood. Still have the K&K pickup and radius fretboard and went with slightly difft Maple binding on the body and a couple of other small changes.

If I can choose one word to sum up the difference in the two ukes, it's "Refined". Things just a look and a feel a little better to me. For all you UCLA, UNC fans...you gotta use Turquoise Recon Stone!!

Brad is awesome to work with and he makes you feel like yours is his favorite project!! He has 20+ years of making stringed instruments and mine is #214 (he goes chronologically). I don't think you can get a better sounding and looking uke for the price!! Don't ask me the price as I'm a little bit embarrassed by how cheap his uke is!!

I can write some more but let's get to the pictures!!

Donaldon (1).jpgDonaldon (2).jpgDonaldon (3).jpgDonaldon (4).jpgDonaldon (5).jpg

Last edited by Dan Uke; 08-19-2012 at 06:27 AM.

I wanted to say that he uses different Pegheds now that are much shorter on the back! Do you agree it looks much better now? Do you remember how long it looked on sopranos? LOL

Donaldon (6).jpgDonaldon (7).jpg

youre one lucky bastard!!! that is beautiful!! i have always loved Brad's ukes. congratulations!!

Dang N. that is stunning. Really looks refined. I like the shorter pegheads much better. We are so blessed to have such great luthiers who love what they do.

Beautiful uke. Excellent combo and love the shorter pegs. Not too many folks get a second shot like that. Brad does wonderful work for sure. And as a Tarheel, I'll have to remember the turquoise tip. Love to hear it some day. Enjoy!
    -bill

Relationship status: Kamaka HF-3 Tenor, Kamaka HF-36 Lili'u Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Soprano, Fluke Hibiscus, Farnsworth 2000 Soprano, Hilo Soprano (you never forget your first)

Previous Relationships: Collings UT1-Koa, Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, Pono AT-SHC Tenor, Pono MHT-SH Tenor, Pono MPT-SH Tenor, Favilla Baritone, Mainland Red Cedar Concert, KoAloha Longneck Soprano

Wow, and I thought your 12 fret was beautiful. This one is gorgeous! Beautiful koa, and the whole design just fits together so well. Would love to hear your thoughts on tone and playability after you've had time to play it in to shape. Enjoy!

Aloha D,
    Congrats on that new, new uke. Very nice indeed. I'm not a fan of cutaways (in a uke), but yours is beautiful.
    Enjoy it as I know you will............................BO................ .....
    Uku Itch: Live It, Love It, Share It
    Mele: My Song, My Joy, My uke....
    Proud Designer and Owner of the "B&D Special" and the "Maui Kai" by Willie Wixom

That is f**king beautiful. The headstock looks a bit too skinny without normal tuners for my taste, but I'd still fight you to the death for it.

How much ?

Beautiful Daniel. How does she sound?

Congratulations! That is really nice.
    I do like that recon stone, good choice. The flame on your koa is outstanding!
    The Donaldson "swoop" on the headstock, fretboard end, and cutout really tie in well.

Hopefully, this fall I should see a Donaldson uke arrive at my house. Brad's wait list must be at least a year or two long by now.

Thread Information