Hole diameter for MISI pick up, drill bit size.

danged

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what diameter drill bit I need to use to install a MISI pick up end pin jack? I'm about to install a MISI pick up in a Kanile'a Tenor, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Edgar

Go to Mi-Si's website, they have a PDF with instructions. If you have never done this before, I STRONGLY recommend you take it to a luthier and have the holes drilled (endpin hole and saddle hole). You can't just drill the endpin hole with a 1/2 inch drill bit, you will most definitely chip the finish. Please, take it to your luthier!

Jimmy

Whether there's a finish on the uke or not I always drill with a bit that is considerably smaller and ream it to the 31/64" (let's call it 1/2") you need. Another good idea is to feed the leading edge of the UST back through the saddle slot by drilling two holes in the slot instead of just one. The first 1/4" or so of the UST isn't as active as the rest of it and doing so will eliminate balancing problems with the A string. The pics explain what I do.
Another thing I do that really speeds up installation is to make a tiny hole with a pin at the VERY end (the flattened part of the braided shield) and thread a length of 4# monofilament through the hole and tie a knot. It's so much easier to pull it through the hole in the saddle slot that way.

Attachments

• misi 1..JPG
    misi 1..JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 127
  • misi 2..jpg
    misi 2..jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 127
In looking at these pictures I neglected to mention that I take the excess wire and make four 1" coils that I secure tightly with small zip-ties. When you install the pickup, look inside the sound hole and rotate the pickup to make sure this coil doesn't come into contact with any part of the uke body, then tighten the nut. I believe that MiSi now sells a pickup with a shortened wire. In any case, you don't want a bunch of excess wire rattling around in there.
BTW, the pictures show the bridge not glued onto the top for clarity purposes only.

Chuck is spot on with that.

I do have another trick for fishing pickup up from the body...I run a piece of hookup wire down through the hole in the saddle slot and fish it out the sound hole. Then I heat strink it to the end of the pickup which I also bring up through the sound hole. Then I can just pull the wire and the pickup comes up and through.

Thanks for all the great tips, especially from highly respected luthiers Chuck and Rick. I wanted to buy the proper tools to be able to install picks up myself. I do have a good friend that's a luthier, he builds Oiwi Ukulele's in SSF, and he will be supervising me during my first installation. He's been doing work for me on set-ups and pick up installation, and it's time I learn how to do these things myself, as I own a ukulele store.

@Chuck, I've admired your artwork for along time.
@Rick I met you before at David's retreat and Ukulele festival.

Any tips on using a spade or forsner bit for the main pick up hole? And what size drill bit should I use for the holes in the bridge?

Mahalo, Edgar

Chuck is spot on with that.

I do have another trick for fishing pickup up from the body...I run a piece of hookup wire down through the hole in the saddle slot and fish it out the sound hole. Then I heat strink it to the end of the pickup which I also bring up through the sound hole. Then I can just pull the wire and the pickup comes up and through.

Thanks for all the great tips, especially from highly respected luthiers Chuck and Rick. I wanted to buy the proper tools to be able to install picks up myself. I do have a good friend that's a luthier, he builds Oiwi Ukulele's in SSF, and he will be supervising me during my first installation. He's been doing work for me on set-ups and pick up installation, and it's time I learn how to do these things myself, as I own a ukulele store.

@Chuck, I've admired your artwork for along time.
@Rick I met you before at David's retreat and Ukulele festival.

Any tips on using a spade or forsner bit for the main pick up hole? And what size drill bit should I use for the holes in the bridge?

Mahalo, Edgar

You don't need a lot of specialized tools, you just need to use good technique and do it properly. Don't scrimp on the tools you do need though, especially with the drill bits. I use the sharpest, "pointiest" bits I can find and dedicate them to that job specifically. Lee Valley is one good source.
Bits for your UST installation should closely match your saddle slot width. My saddle slots are .100" wide, which just so happens to be the width of the UST. I go just slightly smaller with the drill size (twist bit, I don't remember the number.) Don't forget to ramp the entry holes.
Give my Alohas to David.

Last edited:
I believe that MiSi now sells a pickup with a shortened wire. In any case, you don't want a bunch of excess wire rattling around in there.

They do, the problem is for most ukes it's still too long and needs to be secured.
I find it actually harder to secure the shorter (ukulele model), than the regular longer wire.

The Misi pickup's I'm using all have the longer cord, and I will make sure to follow Chuck's instructions on securing the loose wire.

They do, the problem is for most ukes it's still too long and needs to be secured.
I find it actually harder to secure the shorter (ukulele model), than the regular longer wire.

Thanks Mike, that's interesting to know that it's still too long. The LR Baggs 5-0 pickup has the same problem, as well as a battery wire that is too short for mounting on the neck block.

The new Misi's have the new LR Baggs shorter pickup with the attachment you snip off that has a hole to tie the monofilament onto and pull through. The length is good for tenor but needs mounting clips for smaller.

The new Misi's have the new LR Baggs shorter pickup with the attachment you snip off that has a hole to tie the monofilament onto and pull through. The length is good for tenor but needs mounting clips for smaller.

The Baggs 5-0 has the same thing, it's a real improvement. Good to know that the same UST is supplied with the MiSi now.

Mission Accomplished. I didn't tighten the loose wire enough on the first go round, which caused a slight buzz from the wire hitting the wood. Fixed the wire, and I'm ready to do some more. Thanks for all the advice, just wished I had a router gig to carve out the saddle just like Joe Souza.

Attachments

• side marker.jpg
    side marker.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 38
I just installed my first Misi pickup and it made the top really sensitive to the touch. Seems to be a little too noisy (percussive) when tapped or hit. This is my first experience with this pickup.....is this normal?

Use a D-TAR Timberline! ;)

That would have been my choice, but the customer wanted a MiSi

I was just joking because of your affiliation . . . but in all seriousness, I have a D-TAR in the uke I built in Rick's class and my musician friends are amazed by the natural sound and lack of "quackiness" from the Timberline.

Top Bottom