Hole diameter for MISI pick up, drill bit size.

Can anyone tell me what diameter drill bit I need to use to install a MISI pick up end pin jack? I'm about to install a MISI pick up in a Kanile'a Tenor, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Edgar

Edgar, if you have not drilled the hole yet, get a
1/2 inch step drill,drill a smaller entry hole first large enough to get the step drill entered, it is safe, easy and will not rip up your uke.

Chuck, wouldn't safety wire be a better choice then plastic zip ties for securing the extra wire? Over time the zip ties will become brittle and break. I know instruments like the ones you build will most likely be handed down from generation to generation and a zip tie would never last that long.

Zip ties are the standard cable securing method in the electrical industry. This is because they are the best cable securing method. They are amazingly hardy, surviving many decades in very harsh environments. The conditions required to harm zip ties isn't going to be too good for any uke.

Thanks Mike, that's interesting to know that it's still too long. The LR Baggs 5-0 pickup has the same problem, as well as a battery wire that is too short for mounting on the neck block.

Do you guys secure the battery for the Baggs 5.0 on the sides or the back if it's too short to mount on the neck block? I have one that was secured to the top and I took it off as I felt like it prohibited the top from vibrating.

Do you guys secure the battery for the Baggs 5.0 on the sides or the back if it's too short to mount on the neck block? I have one that was secured to the top and I took it off as I felt like it prohibited the top from vibrating.

Just pull real hard, you'll make it to the end block :D

But the bottom would be better than the top for mounting and what you need to do is harness it to the side so the wires aren't loose

IF you know how to modify a 31/64" or 1/2" drill bit...grinding the flutes for zero rake...then you can go right to the big bit and get the job done quickly. I've posted this here before. It's an old machinist's trick to make twist bits, which are designed for ferrous metals, work well in wood, hard plastics like PlexiGlas (Persepex for you Brits...), and especially brass. I have most of the bits in my shop ground this way for personal safety and clean, no grab drilling in the materials we use most. I can chuck up the big bit and just go at it using a regular end pin hole as a pilot. Never had a problem in hundreds of installations in guitars and ukes. Looks scary, works fine...

I had to take off four velcro pieces off the top, which were used to hold the battery and excess wire. There is a noticeable difference in sound as the top freely vibrates now. I put the battery on the neck block, looped and tied the excess UST and mounted the wire for the battery and volume control.

Thanks everyone for your help

My only problem with the 5.0 is the amount of wires. The nice thing about the misi is you have one pickup strip going to and endjack. Suggesting this to customers may save you some headache later. But the 5.0 still sounds a little better, or cleaner, I suppose sound is subjective either way. Misi is almost right there with half the cost and less chance to come back haunting.

With all due respect to Joe, there are better ways of installing the MiSi than he's showing on that video.

At first I didn't understand the router as opposed to cutting the saddle down but I guess with the ends of the saddle exposed on both ends for that particular style bridge, the gap under the saddle would look funny if he didn't route. But then maybe I missed Chucks point about easier ways.

I recently got a Misi for my Kanile'a, I've watched several videos on installation and it looks fairly straightforward, no special tools required (a friend has a 1/2" step bit) Except, I think I need to rout the saddle slot, it's not very deep. I have a friend who has a wood shop, he also has built several ukuleles, so maybe he can help.
saddle.jpg misi bridge.jpg misi.jpg

Last edited:
I install quite a few pickups. If you think you will be doing very, many it would be worth the $ to buy an endpin jack reamer #4323 from Stew-Mac. Kind of an expensive goodie, but worth it. I've used one for years. It's really good and much safer than just using a drill bit.

Pickup Jacks always require a 1/2" hole.

For the ribbon, use a 1/8" bit or slightly smaller- adjust to fit the ribbon width.

Top Bottom