Plastic Uke on Kickstarter

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
Saw this on kickstarter. Thought I would post it up here and see what people think of it. Sounds alright to me. The guy is pretty low on his pledge right now, hopefully he gets it.

[video]http://kck.st/NRpmt4[/video]

I'm in, but mostly because it will be made here in the midwest. ;)

Not a new idea but nice design, I reckon.

I signed up - looks like a nice design. Pledge is awfully low though so far.

I like the look, really Stealthy looking!

It sounds really nice too! Not plinky like a lot of plastic ukes.

My issue is the flat neck design. How comfortable will that be to play is what I wonder. I might pull the trigger and hope it works out. If anything it will be a novelty. I love the base tuners by the way. very cool design.

My issue is the flat neck design...

I saw that too and thought it was odd. Figure it would be big time uncomfortable to play, I don't get it.

But never having the opportunity to play anything like it... maybe they're on to something. But I still don't get it.

My issue is the flat neck design. How comfortable will that be to play is what I wonder.

I visited the website and asked Scott about the neck. He said the testers he showed it to had liked it.
I really like the tone I heard from the website and think it's a neat idea but I'll have to feel the square neck before I'll buy in. (Of course, I just bought a chocolate Dolphin so I'm in on the bottom rung along with my Harmony/Kay 1954 Airline and Lanikai LU-21c) so, there's that...
Doug

I like the look, really Stealthy looking!

It sounds really nice too! Not plinky like a lot of plastic ukes.

Yes, it does sound surprisingly good in the video. It makes me wonder why the Flea/Fluke never did an all plastic uke (or did they ever do that?). Seems that would be an easier path for a new all plastic uke, than to design one from scratch. I'll probably back the project. It sounds like an interesting project. Although, I'm not sure it will it get enough funding.

why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.

why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.

Molds and other tooling aren't cheap. I used to have molds made for fairly simple small parts (thumb nail sized) I remember them costing several thousand dollars back in the 1990's. So he's got 6 larger parts to mold and he's budgeting $65,000 for molds/tooling. Plus, you have to account for mistakes and rework. Then he actually will produce at least a 1000 or more of these. So, the costs seem reasonable.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am in because I've got too many ukes around now. But I work in manufacturing and his tooling costs are very reasonable.

or you could buy a black dolphin for 40 bucks and drill out the dots !

Yes, the schedule seems amazingly fast for producing molds, tweaking them, and producing good parts.
But, I'm in.

[video]http://kck.st/NRpmt4[/video]
http://ukeeku.com/2012/08/22/plastic-ukulele-project-on-kickstarter/
thanks for the link. I figured I could reach people outside of the UU community (Yes there are people who play uke and have no idea what UU is)
Honestly, I would be surprised to have it by x-mas. For me that is fine. I really hope after he makes his first 1000 he can make it cheaper than the $150. If he can get it to $75, that would be amazing (Yes we paid $125, that is the price you pay for being first to get it, like iPhone people)

I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.

Last edited:
I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.

Not sure if you know how kickstarter works. In case you don't, if the pledged goal is not reached within the timelimit, everyone who backed the project will get their money back and you will have lost nothing. But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it? ;)

Top Bottom