Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic Uke on Kickstarter

why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.
    Molds and other tooling aren't cheap. I used to have molds made for fairly simple small parts (thumb nail sized) I remember them costing several thousand dollars back in the 1990's. So he's got 6 larger parts to mold and he's budgeting $65,000 for molds/tooling. Plus, you have to account for mistakes and rework. Then he actually will produce at least a 1000 or more of these. So, the costs seem reasonable.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 08-21-2012 at 05:15 PM.

I am now a supporter and also did a little write up. Thanks Colin for the link.
    http://ukeeku.com/2012/08/22/plastic...n-kickstarter/
    Help spread the word people
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I am not sure if I am in because I've got too many ukes around now. But I work in manufacturing and his tooling costs are very reasonable.

or you could buy a black dolphin for 40 bucks and drill out the dots !

Quote Originally Posted by Pondoro View Post
    I am not sure if I am in because I've got too many ukes around now. But I work in manufacturing and his tooling costs are very reasonable.
    Yes, the schedule seems amazingly fast for producing molds, tweaking them, and producing good parts.
    But, I'm in.

http://kck.st/NRpmt4

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Yes, the schedule seems amazingly fast for producing molds, tweaking them, and producing good parts.
    But, I'm in.

http://kck.st/NRpmt4
    thanks for the link. I figured I could reach people outside of the UU community (Yes there are people who play uke and have no idea what UU is)
    Honestly, I would be surprised to have it by x-mas. For me that is fine. I really hope after he makes his first 1000 he can make it cheaper than the $150. If he can get it to $75, that would be amazing (Yes we paid $125, that is the price you pay for being first to get it, like iPhone people)
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-22-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.
    Not sure if you know how kickstarter works. In case you don't, if the pledged goal is not reached within the timelimit, everyone who backed the project will get their money back and you will have lost nothing. But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Ukulele View Post
    But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it?
    yep.... true

Thread Information