Plastic Uke on Kickstarter

Thanks for the additional comments and questions. I will try to answer them as best as possible.

Grover tuners. Looks like these tuners will be a popular option. The Grover Pegs I am using actually retail from Steward MacDonald for $27.65 for 1 set. There are quantity discounts by going direct, but I imagine you would need to purchase over 1 million sets to get them for $3.

I think both tuner styes have a place. If I were going to use the ukulele at the beach around salt water, or be hiking around with it in a backpack, then I would use the tapered tuners for corrosion resistance and light weight. If I were a professional playing at coffee shops, then I may choose the Grover Tuners.

Strings. The strings used in the video are the standard Martin Ukulele strings. I tested a bunch of strings, but ultimately decided to keep them standard looking for the video. The production version will also have clear monofilament strings, but with a slightly higher density then the Martin.

Can we trust you to donate ukes to schools? We began donating trees for every complete longboard and skateboard sold with our skateboard companies 7 years ago. Since then, we have planted nearly 40,000 trees. Kickstarter has some pretty strict charity rules, so we are beginning to format how the school donation program will work.

The end of the video is the best representation of how the uke sounds in person, and this is a live recording. I will try to find better players then myself to do additional videos.

Also keep in mind the production version will sound better. The prototype was sprayed with .020" of teflon paint by the prototype shop to create that injection molded appearance. This added some extra weight.

Cheers,
Scott

Nice response Scott. I was wondering if you were going to address these things and build the confidence. Which you have. Touché good sir. I will be a backer. To sound sample it right next to a Makai and Islander soprano for the same price. So let my challenge fuel your ambition for optimal tone. And please make sure tuners can stay in tune and get smooth movement. For tuning keys look up the DER JUNG company for grover style at a lesser cost. It may be worth it. BTW Stew Mac is only for things not available anywhere else.
I have never heard or even tuned the prototype, of course, but I have recorded a lot and the shot at the end seemed synced. It is just too hard to get that full of a sound from that distance even with great instruments. Perhaps post editors ran it through some killer preamps or plug-ins, but it sounds good anyway and you gotta have something good to work with from the get go.

Oh if it can be done, shape the neck like other ukes. With the flat neck you will lose many automatically, and with it regular you will lose none. No one will say, "I would get it but the neck is not flat."

I think this is the grand experiment. if this works, and I have faith in Scott that it will, it will pave the way for other projects like this. I have been toying with making cases out of vacuuform plastic. If this works I may kick it into overdrive and get the prototypes done and figure out if it is doable. Being first means you pay more sometimes. For me I know I am buying a plastic uke that should be half the price, but....I want to support this idea and see where it goes. and to do that I put my money in.
I respect people trepidation around this, but keep this in mind. the Takumi ukes retail at $160
plastic_0965.jpg

Scott:

I must admit that I was a tad dubious, but you are overcoming my dubiousity (if that is a word).

Can I make a suggestion on the design? Make a black that is extra thick at the butt to allow a strap button to be screwed in. Most plastic bodies don't have that but some ukers like a strap even on a soprano (e.g., this thread). It would add a smidge of material but should not harm the design I think in terms of sound or balance.

Please give that consideration.

I do not have $$ handy to contribute right now, but would quite possibly be a customer in the future. So I can do this! (HT Hoosierhiver for the cool idea)
thanks

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea. Well to a degree. For those of us that live in a dry climate this works great. I'm also assuming that since it is machined, the tolerances are going to be pretty much standard. So, there shouldn't be a need for a setup, correct?

I would be really tempted except for two things: it's black and it's not a tenor. The black bothers me because, it's solid. There's no variation in the value. In other words, if there were streaks of perhaps a dark grey in the black that might make it look more interesting. Hopefully if this venture is successful, other sizes and colors will be offered.

Good luck and I hope it's successful!

Last edited:
Perhaps Scott could let Tim review the prototype?

I am on the top 20 backers, I think. So I should have it pretty quick. I would rather review the real ones anyways. thanks for the plug either way :cheers:

I am on the top 20 backers, I think. So I should have it pretty quick. I would rather review the real ones anyways. thanks for the plug either way :cheers:

Looking forward to your uflinchingly honest opinion.

Have you ever played one of the Takumi ukes? I'm curious about them and plastics in general. So many plastics were just TV promotion toys that I think it is hard for a serious player to trust a "real" uke made entirely (soundboard included) of plastic.

I think this is a great idea. Well to a degree. For those of us that live in a dry climate this works great. I'm also assuming that since it is machined, the tolerances are going to be pretty much standard. So, there shouldn't be a need for a setup, correct?

I would be really tempted except for two things: it's black and it's not a tenor. The black bothers me because, it's solid. There's no variation in the value. In other words, if there were streaks of perhaps a dark grey in the black that might make it look more interesting. Hopefully if this venture is successful, other sizes and colors will be offered.

Good luck and I hope it's successful!

I don't mind the black but yeah a tenor model would be cool.

Have you ever played one of the Takumi ukes? I'm curious about them and plastics in general. So many plastics were just TV promotion toys that I think it is hard for a serious player to trust a "real" uke made entirely (soundboard included) of plastic.

Mike had bought a number of these for a store, they came with an order of Kiwaya's, much to my surprise. "You didn't!"

I didn't know till they arrived and was bummed. I never wanted plastic ukes in the store. And sure enough, they sound horrible, in my opinion. Like...plastic. Worst sound in the store. My daughter came in the next day and loved them. She has a $70 uke that sounds a million times better. I just don't like the image it portrays. Ukulele being a plastic toy. The entry level guitar market isn't plastic.

I think we sold our last plastic uke yesterday. They weren't as bad as other plastic ukes I've tried. And you can stick it in the sand at the beach. So they aren't that bad. But I couldn't sell them. Mike can. Which is why I approached the money aspect like I did. I don't doubt that they will take time and money to make. But I have a lot of amazing ukes in the store for $150. The market is full of beautiful sounding ukes at this affordable range.

Oh by the way, I think Flukes sound awesome. Amazingly rich in tone. A completely different design made in USA. A roots operation started by people truly passionate about music and the ukulele. The Takumi plastic ukes are the same price range but nowhere even remotely close in sound quality. (there is something cool about them...the cuteness? ) If you have one and make it sound good, that's a testament to your ability and you have my respect. If they had a flat neck and violin style plastic pegs, I bet Mike wouldn't even buy them. But Scott's got nothin' to lose. He's getting the start up money from us. And securing the sale of his first batch. So Scott, if it doesn't make it on kickstarter, are you gonna lay your own money on the line?

I'd go with one of Andrew's $150 ukes long before I'd buy a matte plastic uke with square neck and odd tuners. But, That's me.

I couldn't resist...this uker, ukulelezaza, is an excellent player (consider a sub to his utube channel), and here he makes an old 1950s toy uke -- a sopraNINO, no less -- sing like a playful bird!!!

Oh if it can be done, shape the neck like other ukes. With the flat neck you will lose many automatically, and with it regular you will lose none. No one will say, "I would get it but the neck is not flat."
As the german ukulele club (www.ukuleleclub.de) is currently "collecting" supporters for the plastic uke, the flat neck is the main criticism. With a standard neck, there would definitely be more supporters.

@Scott: Please consider changing the neck design!

Am I the only one concerned about the durability of plastic frets?
no, but the flukes and fleas last a really long time, as long as you don't use a metal wound string (Low G)
that is why I won't worry

i've come up with this amazing invention, it's a lever type thing that sticks out of the side of a motorcycle engine that allows you to start it by pushing down with your foot, i'll put it on kickstarter as soon as i think of a name for it :)

i've come up with this amazing invention, it's a lever type thing that sticks out of the side of a motorcycle engine that allows you to start it by pushing down with your foot, i'll put it on kickstarter as soon as i think of a name for it :)

Nice one. I think "Motorcyle stick out thingy that starts the bike" or MSOTTSTB

Top Bottom