Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an alternative to Bm?

Place your index finger right next to the fret and tilt it back just a little towards the nut or headstock. Don't place it flat on the fingerboard. Try just barring all 4 strings with index finger first without placing any other fingers down and work on getting a good sound that way first and when the sound is no longer muted then you can start working on adding other fingers to change the chord.
    It may take a while but don't give up you'll get it.

Also make sure your index finger is straight, Tilted back a little and right next to the fret wire. You may have to push a little harder at first but after a while you'll find you can Bar with very little pressure.

I can play most barred chords with no problem. I had a heck of a time with the Bb at first and kept at it until I could play it without hesitating. It's not barring the chord that is difficult for me, it's forming the chord without hesitating. Hesitating in a song really ruins the song I think. Because I have arthritis in my hands, I have to piggyback some barred chords to be able to get enough pressure on the string to get a clean sound. The Bm is just something that throws a wrench into it all and I am delighted to have an alternative. Thanks a million for all your advice. Until my next dilema, I have to practice now. ;0)

Laying your middle finger ontop of the barring index finger might give you some added pressure for a cleaner sound.

I dig barre chords. Maybe it's short my fingers.

Me too and I've got long fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I dig barre chords. Maybe it's short my fingers.

Most people go about barre chords the wrong way in my view, desperately trying to press down for all they're worth. If you're doing a barre chord right, most of the pressure should come from the thumb clamped firmly onto the back of the neck, and you should be feeling it in your wrist. You can't get enough downward pressure any other way, you're just moving the neck backwards while pushing. Keep the neck still with your thumb, press your index finger down relatively lightly, it'll work eventually.

Keep practicing, you'll get there

When you play Barre chords you should use the two sections of your finger closest to your hand. If you try to play with your with the top of the finger you won't get enough leverage. Check out Gerald Ross's Beginning Swing Ukulele video. He does an excellent job of explaining how to make Barre chords.

When I bar The tip of my index finger finger is about a 1/4 inch past the G string.
    Last edited by Markr1; 08-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2myuke View Post
    I can play most barred chords with no problem. I had a heck of a time with the Bb at first and kept at it until I could play it without hesitating. It's not barring the chord that is difficult for me, it's forming the chord without hesitating. Hesitating in a song really ruins the song I think. Because I have arthritis in my hands, I have to piggyback some barred chords to be able to get enough pressure on the string to get a clean sound. The Bm is just something that throws a wrench into it all and I am delighted to have an alternative. Thanks a million for all your advice. Until my next dilema, I have to practice now. ;0)
    If this is the case....Get a fast neck...thin and narrow...some white label kamakas, vintage martins, oscar schmidt OU2, rogue...etc

Thread Information