Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: different ukulele tuning

Question different ukulele tuning

Hello,

I am an on and off beginner and can't seem to shake off my confusion. How many mode of tunings are there in the world of ukulele. I may be wrong but the guitars has the standard, the dropped D and the slack tuning. At this point I've only heard of the High and Low G and the slack tuning.

Help please....somebody........

Here's some more: Compendium of ukulele alternate tunings? Compile an article for UU?

There's plenty more and then some. You can do whatever you want basically, noone will stop you and say "this is not a ukulele tuning!"

Thank for the opening the door to all the possible alternate ukulele tuning but do all these keys or alternate tuning work for a tenor ukulele? I am currently on Low G and do any and all tabs playable with the Low G tuning....unless of course specified.

I love the ukulele but it has presented a lot more challenge than the classical guitar.

Thank you so much.....

I had my low G tenor tuned to fifths and a fourth, a variant of bouzouki GDAD (although it was probably closer to DAEA). It sounded quite pleasant, other strings being too loose; had a celtic harp sort of feel to it. I would imagine people have also experimented with violin and mandolin style all-fifths GDAE.

There are an awful lot more recognised guitar tunings than those you mention (right away I'd add open D, open G, open C, DADGAD, open G6 to the ones you mentioned).

Quote Originally Posted by fleepod View Post
    I love the ukulele but it has presented a lot more challenge than the classical guitar.
    Really..?

Actually there are so much tunings ..it depends on the uke and you....but it is mainly for soloing..

One thing to remember though is that if you're going to tune a string to a note very different from the one it's meant for, it might get very loose or too tense, in which case it might be good to replace it with a string that has a gauge closer to what you're tuning it to, ie if you want to tune an E string to A#, best to replace it with a string meant for A or G.

Southcoast strings are formulated and designed to conform to different tunings. My Lichty tenor, for example, has a set of Linear Southcoasts tuned to D, higher than standard C tuning. It brings out amazing tones and qualities in the uke.
    Craig

Beau Hannam Spiral Rosette tenor
    Moore Bettah tenor "Ki Uke"
    Kinnard mahogany tenor
    Koa Works tenor
    Koa Works concert
    Pohaku custom mahogany concert

Quote Originally Posted by CTurner View Post
    Southcoast strings are formulated and designed to conform to different tunings. My Lichty tenor, for example, has a set of Linear Southcoasts tuned to D, higher than standard C tuning. It brings out amazing tones and qualities in the uke.
    Southcoast strings are indeed amazing. Got them on two ukes and I'm very impressed by them.

mm stan....spending so much time on research i no longer find time to jam with other that i, for now, plan to concentrate on fingerpicking...solo playing.

OpenC......really. i have been playing the classical guitar for the longest time and most of the notes i get or find are of standard tuning with a sprinkling of dropped d tuned notes.

why do you think i enjoy the low G tuning better?

fleepod..........................

Thread Information