What exactly IS a Ukulele car?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ok.. I just thought this was funny. A little unknown (in this forum) thing about me is that I am a HUGE (no pun intended) car guy. Since I was able to walk I followed my dad around (he was an old hot rod guy back in the 1940s) and had actually built my 1st car at age 15 before I even had a license to drive it. Built many hot rods, or restored classics over the decades of my adult hood before I became disabled and not able to enjoy that hobby as I loved to. Not only hot rods, but also classic Volkswagens. Myself and my wife build several VW projects over the years before my daughter was born but that has been on hold for years due to disability as well as raising my daughter. My daughter also has a huge love of classic VWs and we just bought as a family project, and also as my daughter's first car (yeah, she's coming into the driving age) a 1969 VW Bug. When I was showing it off to a friend, he smiled as most do when they see it, and said to me (he also knowing I'm a huge Uke guy), "Well, buddy, you being such a huge guy and loving small thing, this doesn't suprize me. THIS is the perfect Ukulele Car my friend!!!"

What do you think? Is it a match? Uke Car? ;)
08282012a.jpg

A King Midget would be a perfect Ukulele car. An original AC Cobra would also be a perfect uke car.

Never thought about the term before, but when he said "Uke Car", the images of VW's, Mini Coopers, Nash Metropolatian all came to mind.. I don't see AC Cobra when I think "Uke Car" for sure though.

The obvious would be a Woodie, but I think the Isetta is a great choice.

woodie-car-beach.jpg

Never thought about the term before, but when he said "Uke Car", the images of VW's, Mini Coopers, Nash Metropolatian all came to mind.. I don't see AC Cobra when I think "Uke Car" for sure though.

Well, maybe someone on the UU forum would let me borrow their AC cobra so I could prove it. :)

Here are pictures of a King Midget and a Messerschmit

View attachment 42348View attachment 42349

Love the old air-cooled VWs - bugs and busses alike.

Haven't owned one in years though because I need my AC living here in TX and the AC (factory and aftermarket) just plain sucked on them. Took about half the power of the poor little motors to give you lukewarm air through the vents. That was why I didn't bring my pristine bus back from Iceland - I knew I was going to the SoCal desert (if I'd been headed for LA I would've kept it for sure).

I have to agree both the bugs and busses are great "uke cars" though. In fact, I wish I had a bus for the annual UWC trip...

John

Hey, with the right paint job, that would be a very ukadelic car. :)

My vote for an also uke-mobile would be the Fiat 500 (classic) or if it's the new one, the Fiat 500 Abarth.

Love the busses too. I restored and drove a 57 kombi splitty years ago. Wish I still had that one.
[
QUOTE=OldePhart;1031253]Love the old air-cooled VWs - bugs and busses alike.
Vft
Haven't owned one in years though because I need my AC living here in TX and the AC (factory and aftermarket) just plain sucked on them. Took about half the power of the poor little motors to give you lukewarm air through the vents. That was why I didn't bring my pristine bus back from Iceland - I knew I was going to the SoCal desert (if I'd been headed for LA I would've kept it for sure).

I have to agree both the bugs and busses are great "uke cars" though. In fact, I wish I had a bus for the annual UWC trip...

John[/QUOTE]

They're totally for real! I've driven a couple of them. So fun.

Originally Posted by Freeda
Haaaaaahahahaaaa... I love that! Is that for real?
They're totally for real! I've driven a couple of them. So fun.

We had a neighbour in the Army who brought one back with him from Germany in the late 50's. It was as you say janeray1940 "So fun" except it was always getting stuck in the snow, and it tipped and turned over at the drop of a hat or a bottle of beer. Thanks for the memories everyone and not forgetting Tudorp.
Jim

Last edited:
neodua never

Heres a pic of my first car, this is not mine, but soooo exact Im wondering if this isnt the same car, 1959 Fiat I got in 1973. No starter, had to be pushed to start. suicide doors, 4 sp on the column . . .
Definititely a UKE GT ;)

Fiat_1100_web_s.jpg

LM, I'm lovin that Fiat.

BTW, the Bug back window well is where they put the youngest (ie. me) back before kid seats and seatbelts

Heres a pic of my first car, this is not mine, but soooo exact Im wondering if this isnt the same car, 1959 Fiat I got in 1973. No starter, had to be pushed to start. suicide doors, 4 sp on the column . . .
Definititely a UKE GT ;)

Fiat_1100_web_s.jpg

Can't be a real one - there isn't enough rust!

(Of course, I live in Upstate NY, where road salt is ubiquitous, and older Fiats tended to disintegrate...)

-Kurt​

LM, I'm lovin that Fiat.

BTW, the Bug back window well is where they put the youngest (ie. me) back before kid seats and seatbelts

Ha ha ha :eek:

Mine had these crazy hemp/rope storage sack type things on the back of each front seat, also good for stashing the kidlettes and small dogs or cats ;)

Can't be a real one - there isn't enough rust!

(Of course, I live in Upstate NY, where road salt is ubiquitous, and older Fiats tended to disintegrate...)

-Kurt​

Not just Fiats . . . I lived in Vermont for a few years. That caustic salt/slush stuff totally destroyed the bottom of my Suzuki :uhoh:

Peel Trident,
THIS---is a UKEmobile !!!! :shaka:

9d2a3894987770621277d16adffcff8c-orig

My uncle's '28 Willy's Whippet... This is a good banjo ukulele car!
willys2.jpg

Definitely a banjo Uke car sim.

I had a 76 Mustang II and a 80 Chev Chevette. Even the kazoo forum wouldn't want them babies.

Top Bottom